minimum order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MojoWorkin, Dec 26, 2008.

1. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi! I am planning to order some chicks in the spring. I would like to order from Welps or McMurray but they both seem to have a minimum order of 25 chicks. I really only want about 4 chickens.

How do you deal with the extras? Sell them on craigslist or the local feedstore? Wait till they get to a certain size and cull/eat them? What do you do? Thanks.

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

For that reason I ordered from Ideal. Smaller required order size. Or I also bought locally.

Could you and a friend each order together? Then you'd each have extras, sure, but then you'd also have less each to get rid of. You could sell your extras on craigslist. [​IMG] Maybe even make enough to cover your first bag of feed!

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
  4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:I second that. "Order as few as 3 chicks"*
    *Minimum based on location

I'm so crazy I've memorized their slogan without meaning to! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you're not against eating them... Just get the 4 you want, doube that number to make sure you get the 4 you want, (to account for any losses and roos), then fill the rest of the order with meat birds to eat.

MPC is a good option if you are close enough to them, but with the $25 heat pad and shipping costs... I'd just fill the order with more chicks, pick out your favorites, and sell the on craigs list. Even if you gave them away, your cost for chicks and shipping would be about the same with 4 chicks as it would be 25.

6. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi! I'm not against eating them and I was thinking that filling the rest of the order with meat birds would make sense, but I'd have to have a separate/larger coop to keep them? At what age are they good to eat?

7. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Order from mypetchicken.com and order 6. 4 will not be enough to satisfy your inner chicken. 6 should keep you from acquiring more until well......Fall at best.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Meyer hatchery also has a smaller minimum order & I got very good healthy chicks from them last spring.

9. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I just looked up my mypetchicken.com order. I paid $25.00 for 8 vaccanated chickes that came healthy and well, but I also paid $30.00 for shipping and handeling. ------At my local feed store they sell local chicks for $2.00-$3.00, and I have to go there to buy feed and 'chicken stuff'. I assume that indepnndent feed stores will have chics in the spring. And I do not have to make that emergency trip to the Post Office, or some wierd postal distrubution center that you do not know existed. ----Buy local---save postage and hassle.

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Cackle Hatchery has a minimum of 15 chicks per order, they are reasonably priced, too.

located in central(-ish) Missourri.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by