minimum pen size for a pair of peafowl?

Here is photo of my pen. It has a 10x20 building attached to a 60x24 run that has some height for tall perches. This is plenty of room for the 3 peacocks and 9 hens currently calling it home.

Attachments

• 7EF1EA7F-2481-412D-B3D3-5E24DEFCEE36.jpeg
    7EF1EA7F-2481-412D-B3D3-5E24DEFCEE36.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 8848EE63-FAE6-4616-878B-4BA4F780E3C2.jpeg
    8848EE63-FAE6-4616-878B-4BA4F780E3C2.jpeg
    823.8 KB · Views: 37
We free range ours but was wondering what is a recommended size for roosting, I have a 10x15 outer area with roosts and a small barn area that is 5x10 with two in it at the moment, and i have 4 young ones in a 10x10.

My 2 outer pens measure about 40' x 40' each which include an 8'x8' closed in house in each pen. The 8 x 8 is not ideal...my next peacock house will measure at least 10'x10' or maybe even 12'x12' to accommodate the long trains during mating season. Right now I have one adult male and one female in one pen and the other pen houses one adult female and her 3 month old peachick. Each pen has black bamboo and rosemary, wild plum trees and various wild grasses growing in them. My goal next year is to expand the aviary to include another 1600 square feet which will take in some Sweet Shoot bamboo, some more wild plum trees and blackberry and raspberry patches. I'll be happier when I can give them a bit more room...and I know they will be happier as well. I will try to take some photos and post them.

My 2 outer pens measure about 40' x 40' each which include an 8'x8' closed in house in each pen. The 8 x 8 is not ideal...my next peacock house will measure at least 10'x10' or maybe even 12'x12' to accommodate the long trains during mating season. Right now I have one adult male and one female in one pen and the other pen houses one adult female and her 3 month old peachick. Each pen has black bamboo and rosemary, wild plum trees and various wild grasses growing in them. My goal next year is to expand the aviary to include another 1600 square feet which will take in some Sweet Shoot bamboo, some more wild plum trees and blackberry and raspberry patches. I'll be happier when I can give them a bit more room...and I know they will be happier as well. I will try to take some photos and post them.
Be careful what bamboo you plant in a pen, it has a tendency to grow through the top netting and tear it up when it gets windy.

Be careful what bamboo you plant in a pen, it has a tendency to grow through the top netting and tear it up when it gets windy.
Too late for that now. LOL. I already have wild plum, bamboo and magnolia growing inside the pen and up through the netting. I will be keeping an eye on any tearing of the net and make repairs as needed. I know it just creates more work but I am happy to have my pens in the more natural state. As long as I make sure I keep the birds inside and the predators outside I am willing to pay the price.
IMG_4460 (1).JPG
IMG_4461 (1).JPG
IMG_4462 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom