Mink Attacks! Help Update!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by awalters0815, Oct 2, 2011.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Well, over the past 2 weeks I have lost 6 birds> I thought it was a raccoon. Yesterday I sealed up the coop and still something got in through the ventilation eves and killed a bird. I went out to do some work and started moving some scrap wood I had stacked out by the coop. Out ran a mink (or some other brown weasel). Any tips and getting rid of this killer?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Try putting fox or coyote urine around the coop as it should ward off any weasels that try to get in the coop

3. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:By any chance was the "weasel" light reddish-brown?

4. awalters0815

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Quote:By any chance was the "weasel" light reddish-brown?

It was dark brown

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    google weasel box or weasel jug if it is a mink you will need to make the entrance hole slightly larger a size 50 or 55 coni bear trap will wirk just as well as the long spring that is normally recommended snap type rat traps work good too

what ever was left of the birds is the best bait 2nd choice would be bloody chicken livers the more blood the better the bait

6. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:

I vote for lead poisoning. A weasel killed our family (pet) rooster years ago. Still holding a major grudge.

mm

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Google weasel box and make one of those. I killed a weasel by putting a giant rock on one of the holes to his burrow, then I shoved a hose down the hole and turned it on. It's the not the nicest way to kill him but I had to kill him before he killed my ducks. Good luck and hope you kill the little sucker.

8. awalters0815

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Update. I sealed up the coop as tight as possible and the little jerk weasel tunneled under the wall and took another hen. I began building a new coop and will be done this weekend. In the meantime, I set a havahart trap (although If I catch him I won't be havin a heart) and also made a weasel box. If anyone has any other tips or just wants to commiserate about nasty weasels, feel free. He was brazen enough to be out just before dark. if he doesn't fall for the trap in the next 2 days, I will see if a .410 does the trick : )

9. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Quote:You can also build a new coop with floor cement that way that little varmin weasel won't get anymore chickens.

10. awalters0815

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    i am building a raised coop with a solid floor. nothing will be able to get in this coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by