Mink massacre of 2020

If 2020 can’t get any worse, 4 of my 6 babies were killed by a freaking mink. Devastated. We still haven’t caught the lil bas**** either.
Anyways, the 2 babies that survived were also attacked- took them to the vet (which took 6 hours).
Kylo Hen has the most significant Injuries on her neck- and wampa has some but not as bad. Both have so much blood crusted in their heads that I can’t get it unstuck to see under. (Neither could vet).
They prescribed me durmagel twice a day on both of their necks. Meloxicam and Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim every 12 hours

they are safe in my garage where it’s nice and warm and have a large bucket of water.
While wrestling them to medicate them, I noticed both have water eyes. Is this something I need to address? Or could this be from stress? Or are they crying? Or what? I’ll attach pictures of their temporary digs and injuries.
Side note: I’d like to get these girls some new ducks to complete their flock, how many should I get and what age?
I also bought them a brand new coop/run and dumped the murder house.

sorry this is so long. 😭
I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss and also good work on getting your other ducks to the vet so quickly.

Had the same problem a couple of months back. Mink started coming during the daytime. Killed 8 of my girls before I trapped him in a live trap with a trout then dispatched the nuisance.
That’s what we’re trying to do right now! I put the live trap half in the water with a live trout in it. Nothing! We’ve put a muskrat- a trout- I need this thing dead!!!

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss and also good work on getting your other ducks to the vet so quickly.
Thank you ❤️ So devastated. Also glad I took the girls to the vet. Kylo, the one with the more significant injuries, was on the pond and we had to chase her in the canoe and net her to get her out and to the vet. Fml. They’re already doing better though and I dismantled the murder house and ordered them the Fort Knox of duck coops.

Thank you ❤️ So devastated. Also glad I took the girls to the vet. Kylo, the one with the more significant injuries, was on the pond and we had to chase her in the canoe and net her to get her out and to the vet. Fml. They’re already doing better though and I dismantled the murder house and ordered them the Fort Knox of duck coops.
Can I ask what the fort Knox of duck coops looks like? I haven't had a mink or fox yet but the darn ground squirrels keep tunneling it to steal food. It's just a matter of time :(

I'm so glad they are doing better!! 💖💖

Thank you ❤ So devastated. Also glad I took the girls to the vet. Kylo, the one with the more significant injuries, was on the pond and we had to chase her in the canoe and net her to get her out and to the vet. Fml. They’re already doing better though and I dismantled the murder house and ordered them the Fort Knox of duck coops.
I'd love to see that coop when you are up and running please ! Always looking for coop tips.

Glad your girls are doing better - loving the naming convention too. We have a (Princess) Leah, Luke, Jabba, Han and Chewy !

Back
Top Bottom