Mink massacre

swuthrich

Songster
6 Years
Mar 30, 2014
PNW
Yesterday, I woke up to a mink massacre of my babies. The mink killed two welsh harlequin girls and two mallard drakes. 😭 I am so sad. The mink injured my two khaki Campbell’s but so far they’ve survived.

I would like to get more ducks for Kylo Hen and Wampa so they’re not lonely. What do you recommend? Try to find ducks around the same
Age or ducklings?

We just lost a couple of our Muscovy ducklings to a Mink attack, horrible and sad day! They were the only two to hatch this year.

Oh how terrible! I am so sorry. I dread something like this happening. Were you able to evaluate how the predator got to the ducks? I like to think my coop is predator proof...

The mink tunneled under the fencing and into the run, directly under their house. The run didn't not have hardwire underneath but the house did. It waited until the house door was open and came out from underneath. I wonder how long he harassed them underneath the house :( We tore that down yesterday and put up a new one in a new place. I'll attach pictures. We also got 4 new babies from Metzer.

The new run has hardwire cloth underneath and all around it. Each door has a lock on it. We put boards down on the hard wire and then screwed in stall mats (so we can just spray them off). We also hung string lights above it that go on at dusk-- and 3 motion lights on all sides of the coops. The ducks will still get to go on the pond during the day but at night-- I tried to make it Fort Knox.
IMG_0963.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom