Mink problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kproffer, Jun 18, 2019.

1. kproffer

kproffer Chirping

Mar 22, 2019
    SE Missouri
    E46A661C-A9B8-4A8C-A34A-AD3F00D106F7.jpeg We’ve spotted a mink around our property. I know the wire on my run is not going to keep it out, so I tried to make my coop predator proof since the run is not. We open and close this hatch door via a pulley. Everyone is on the coop at night. The door is about 3’ up the wall and the post is almost 3’ away. The siding is metal. Can a mink or other predator get in?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Weasels of any sort and rats can get through any opening larger than 1/2" diameter, so look hard at your coop with that in mind. I wonder about that pop door, is it latched closed, or open at the bottom as in the photo?
    Make sure to check your foundation and the place where the roof meets the wall framing, everywhere.
    When you can, add hardware cloth over your woven wire, and attach everything a lot better. I think a couple of large dogs, or raccoons, could get into your run too.
    Mary

123RedBeard likes this.
  3. kproffer

kproffer Chirping

Mar 22, 2019
    SE Missouri
    There is not a latch on the bottom but one could be added easily. I was trying to set it up so we wouldn’t have to go into the run to open and close the door. I set this up with raccoon in mind but didn’t realize we have mink around until yesterday. I don’t think raccoon could climb the metal siding, but I don’t know about mink.

4. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

a large racoon can reach over 3' and pull themselves up
    they can open slide bolts and other latches. a latch with a clip in it so far has kept them out of my coops... the have to take the clip out, lift the handle and slide the latch.

aart likes this.
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Yes a mink can get into that if I've understood it's operation correctly.
    I've assumed there is nothing to lock the bottom of the hatch door down so it would be possible to nudge it upwards (?)

aart and 123RedBeard like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: