Mink problem

kproffer

Songster
Mar 22, 2019
SE Missouri
E46A661C-A9B8-4A8C-A34A-AD3F00D106F7.jpeg
We’ve spotted a mink around our property. I know the wire on my run is not going to keep it out, so I tried to make my coop predator proof since the run is not. We open and close this hatch door via a pulley. Everyone is on the coop at night. The door is about 3’ up the wall and the post is almost 3’ away. The siding is metal. Can a mink or other predator get in?

Weasels of any sort and rats can get through any opening larger than 1/2" diameter, so look hard at your coop with that in mind. I wonder about that pop door, is it latched closed, or open at the bottom as in the photo?
Make sure to check your foundation and the place where the roof meets the wall framing, everywhere.
When you can, add hardware cloth over your woven wire, and attach everything a lot better. I think a couple of large dogs, or raccoons, could get into your run too.
Mary

There is not a latch on the bottom but one could be added easily. I was trying to set it up so we wouldn’t have to go into the run to open and close the door. I set this up with raccoon in mind but didn’t realize we have mink around until yesterday. I don’t think raccoon could climb the metal siding, but I don’t know about mink.

There is not a latch on the bottom but one could be added easily. I was trying to set it up so we wouldn’t have to go into the run to open and close the door. I set this up with raccoon in mind but didn’t realize we have mink around until yesterday. I don’t think raccoon could climb the metal siding, but I don’t know about mink.
a large racoon can reach over 3' and pull themselves up
they can open slide bolts and other latches. a latch with a clip in it so far has kept them out of my coops... the have to take the clip out, lift the handle and slide the latch.

Back
Top Bottom