Mink

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
A few weeks ago, a mink killed 16 of our ducks in one night, and injured all ten of the survivors. He came back a couple nights later and I killed him. Biggest one I've ever seen.

A few nights ago, I heard a commotion and went outside to see another mink killing a drake. I shot him and drew blood, but he ran off and I couldn't find a carcass.

Last night, I went out to close up the coop and there were three more dead ducks. I looked around, and sure enough there was another mink, and I shot him.

I went in the coop to check on the remaining birds, and while I was in there, ANOTHER mink came right in the coop with me. No fear at all. I shot him from about three feet away.

I've never experienced anything like this in decades of keeping poultry. And I always thought mink were solitary animals. It's very discouraging.

So far the "score" is 20 dead ducks, 10 injured ducks (every single one bitten in the neck), 3 dead minks and 1 possibly dead mink.

My only predator losses have been to a mink, which is the only animal I have ever wanted to kill. I am sorry for your losses and the incredible number of minks you are dealing with.

My understanding is that if it is a MALE mink, they tend to be solitary and may control a 10-mile territory. So. maybe you are taking out females -- and reducing the likelihood of another generation of killers.

I spent a lot of money to upgrade to hardware cloth on and around every run, and I ALWAYS double check that I have closed all the coop doors. Three chickens died because I forgot to close one door, one night. I fenced off the area where the ducks used to go "swimming" in an old canoe, which is where my runner drake was taken the next day. Now, everyone is within my sight line if they aren't in their pens.

So much effort and cash, but worth the improved piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom