Minks Killing my Hens

doncampbell2007

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2019
I have Minks coming breaking into my coop and killing my hens. They have there head snapped off.
The body is never touched. How can I trap the minks? I love my little Redheads.

I have Minks coming breaking into my coop and killing my hens. They have there head snapped off.
You'd be better off predator proofing the coop. Any critter in the weasel family is going to be difficult to trap. Even if you managed to trap them, without a predator proof coop, sooner or later another predator will show up to the buffet.

Are you sure they are mink?

You'd be better off predator proofing the coop. .....Even if you managed to trap them, without a predator proof coop, sooner or later another predator will show up to the buffet.
Ditto Dat!

Ooh, I hate mink! They can squeeze through the tightest of places. Mink can be tricky to trap. Some can be easy, depending on whether or not you're dealing with a smart adult, or a juvenile that's not very savvy yet. A couple of years ago when I had a mink in my coop, I put a trap right in the pop door where I figured it got in, and the next morning, there it was. (My husband used to trap and says mink are smart and hard to trap. He was shocked that I caught that one.) Anyway, the first thing you need to do is figure out how it's getting in and fix that. Then figure out how to trap it. I used a live trap baited with fresh fish parts (DH had been fishing that night.)

A few questions and a few requests......

Aside from condition of dead birds, what evidence do you have this was a mink? Visual sighting or other? And how many dead birds out of how may live birds before? All at once......or over time?

Can you provide a photo of the coop.....including where you think the entry point was? May help with shoring up the security, plus give a few ideas on trapping methods.

And in general (state or region), where are you located? Matters for a variety of reasons, not to mention what you can legally do with some trapping methods vary by state.

Back
Top Bottom