Minnesota

Hi from Florida! :D Welcome to BYC. I’m so glad you joined our community of crazy poultry lovers! :lol: As for winter tips, I can’t really give any being from a place that is sunny all year round. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi from western Minnesota! We don't heat our coops. We do make sure there is plenty of ventilation to help moist air escape to help prevent frostbite. We use a heated dog dish to keep the water thawed. We use straw for bedding. I like to keep rose or pea combed birds - especially roosters - as sometimes it gets so cold, frostbite can't be avoided. My chickens won't go out in the snow. Make sure your coop is big enough that they aren't over crowded. Bad habits such as feather picking can develop. My coops are walk-in sheds, not the little prefabs that you find in the farm supply stores. Sometimes we'll clear a path for them in the snow, and sometimes I just throw straw on top of the snow - then they'll walk on it.

I live in Minneapolis. Tips? Keep breezes to a minimum, ventilate. You want as little humidity as possible. Have a heater for your water and keep it out of the coop. If for some reason you do heat your coop. Don't let it go out. They will all freeze and die. They need to adapt to the cold. So no heat is the best way to go. They weather fine like a pheasant. Humidity can cause frost bite. That is why you want ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom