Minnesota!

Let my six birds free-range both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Sunday evening my DH and I are having a hot toddy, discussing his deer-hunting weekend, and other things, and there it is. A bald eagle swooping up the river to check on my birds. It flew over quite a few times. I guess it was looking for the roster announcing availability on its favorite meal. They birds were back in the coop at this time - thankfully. Do I dare let them free-range today or tomorrow while it is so nice out? I don't think so but they will not be happy birds.

Trying to get the pictures of the coop and run off my phone. Unsuccessful so far.

Let my six birds free-range both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Sunday evening my DH and I are having a hot toddy, discussing his deer-hunting weekend, and other things, and there it is. A bald eagle swooping up the river to check on my birds. It flew over quite a few times. I guess it was looking for the roster announcing availability on its favorite meal. They birds were back in the coop at this time - thankfully. Do I dare let them free-range today or tomorrow while it is so nice out? I don't think so but they will not be happy birds.

Trying to get the pictures of the coop and run off my phone. Unsuccessful so far.

You live very close to me and we have a huge population of Eagles here. You might lose them, you might not . (only a natural born genius could come up with that result)...

You have to weigh the decision. You are fairly well covered with trees from what I saw going by your place on 5. If the birds are under the trees and closer to the buildings I would think you are ok. The only ones I have lost to eagles have been out in the middle of my yard which is very open. No trees within 200 feet or more. Even the hawks seem to avoid the area under the trees, but that could be because my dogs roam freely.

Do you have a dog you could put out with the birds? My dogs hate it. but I force them to do chicken guard duty.

Others use CD's hanging on strings and things. Also give the birds a lot of things to crawl under.

Kloppers, Great wood work. I never thought of making my own Lincoln logs, what a great gift idea.

The print is great.  Nice score.

Minnie, I am going to plan on processing earlier next year on the turkeys,  I do not like them getting this big either. I spend all my time worrying about if he will live until Wednesday.  The other one is smaller, but I may have to process the one today just to no lose everything.   I have 'talked' to blanchranch  (ok a PM) about it. 

Next year I am going to try more BB turkeys, but they will have to be processed earlier, as much as I like the idea of fresh turkey at T-day, I like the idea pf the turkeys  making it to the table better.

Coffee, I picked up the turkey I thought you could have. I am afraid I have to renege on offering him to you. He is all bones. He is going to be huge but he needs time to fill out those bones.  I am surprised how deceiving the "heritage" turkeys are.   They look huge but they are all bones without a lot of meat.  I started wondering when I saw him fly 40 yards yesterday. I did not think a bird ready to be eaten would fly that far and high. So I checked him out.

He just is not worth the effort of processing and cooking. I am so sorry to have to renege, I should have checked him out closer ( picked him up and felt his breasts) before I said you could have him. I am sorry. really am. 

There, now the whole thread knows I not only do not know everything, but I make major mistakes too.  Holm you will need to find a more fit role model now.

Now the rest of you type!  I have coffee to drink and need posts!

You could wish me a happy birthday:)

You live very close to me and we have a huge population of Eagles here. You might lose them, you might not . (only a natural born genius could come up with that result)...

You have to weigh the decision. You are fairly well covered with trees from what I saw going by your place on 5. If the birds are under the trees and closer to the buildings I would think you are ok. The only ones I have lost to eagles have been out in the middle of my yard which is very open. No trees within 200 feet or more. Even the hawks seem to avoid the area under the trees, but that could be because my dogs roam freely.

Do you have a dog you could put out with the birds? My dogs hate it. but I force them to do chicken guard duty.

Others use CD's hanging on strings and things. Also give the birds a lot of things to crawl under.

Thanks Ralphie. Yes, the RIR go from cover to cover. The other four will go anywhere, it seems. My australops were under bushes on the side of the house. I heard the _____ eagles thump my siding as they came in to grab the hens. How do I post pictures from my phone to BYC's. Been trying all morning. Learning some new stuff though. Thats always good.

Thanks Ralphie. Yes, the RIR go from cover to cover. The other four will go anywhere, it seems. My australops were under bushes on the side of the house. I heard the _____ eagles thump my siding as they came in to grab the hens. How do I post pictures from my phone to BYC's.  Been trying all morning. Learning some new stuff though. Thats always good.

Do you have an IPhone? Since the last software update nobody has had any luck uploading from an iPhone, myself included.

Thanks Ralphie. Yes, the RIR go from cover to cover. The other four will go anywhere, it seems. My australops were under bushes on the side of the house. I heard the _____ eagles thump my siding as they came in to grab the hens. How do I post pictures from my phone to BYC's. Been trying all morning. Learning some new stuff though. Thats always good.
I have a picture (not a good one) in my Avatar now. So I do absorb some of the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom