Minnesota!

Pics
OK short story,,, :) I'm in the coop this morning and I hear MOM are you out there,,yeah i hear my sons voice... so i grabbed my poop bucket and my pitch fork and leave the coop.. super happy to see him. he says mom i think we should talk I'm like ahh ohh whats wrong... so i empty my poop bucket in compost put the pitch fork away and head for the house to wash my hands. so i sit down at the kitchen table with my son and daughter in law, and my son ask`s Mom are you OK? Yes why would you ask that? Because you are outside in your pajamas with a poop bucket in one hand and a pitchfork in the other there is a **** chicken in your bathroom,you don't go any place anymore, you have dishes in the sink no makeup and you chopped your hair off and alls you talk about is chickens you are almost 50 years old and should be traveling or enjoying a easy life not working harder,,and why is there a chicken in your bathroom??? If you need some help maybe we should move back in with you.

Wow..

OK so the chicken in the bathroom has in infection and I'm going to take a warm rag and soften it up so i can squeeze the puss out of it and i have to clean the poop out of the coop since chickens DO poop, the pitchfork is so i can turn the straw over in the run and fluff the pine shavings, I get out of the house i just went to fleet farm yesterday, I chopped my hair because I'm having hot flashes and I'm as you said I'm almost 50 i don't need hair down to my *ss I'm not out to get a boyfriend why should i wear makeup when its just me and if i don't want to do dishes today i don't have to.. If i want to raise chickens instead of traveling that's what is making me happy right now..

I'm FINE its OK

Last edited:
A special day today.

It was nine years ago today that I saw the first photo of my daughter. After waiting two years and filling out countless forms, there she was. And my life has been increadibly blessed ever since.

got leaves all done today,, well till more fall. I shredded them then tossed them all in the run.. I love my chicken coop run.. I got a couple of those chicken balls and im going to hang them instead of letting them roll around.
since it was cold out i quilted a couple rows together...

Last edited:
So for selling eggs we have started a facebook group so that we can reach out to our customers now that the farmers market is over for the year. Someone on here recommended we try introducing our chickens to the customers to keep things interesting so... we made a hashtag! haha im sure some of you are saying 'a what?' or maybe 'you mean that pound sign thingy?' haha

well none the less here is what we shared today:

We have had lots of customers ask about our chickens and are curious about them. This has inspired us to come up with ‪#‎MeetAChickenMonday‬ Each monday we will introduce one our fine-feathered hens here on our Facebook page. That way you can get to know where your eggs come from!
This week we would like to introduce Cheri!
Cheri is a silver-laced Wyandotte hen that came to our farm this spring. Her favorite activities include scratching in the garden for snacks and lounging under the asparagus ferns for an afternoon nap. If you have dark brown speckled eggs in your carton, you can thank Cheri!

I need to work on getting some better quality photos for next week, but so far it has gotten good response from our followers. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Next instalment of "As the Chicken Turns" starring Bert.

Bert survived just fine last night, He even managed to roost, sort of. He climbed up on a feed sack and spend the night, When I came out this morning he jumped down. I thought it was an earthquake but it was just Bert jumping down. I told Bert not to jump because he could break his legs. I am pretty sure he understood me. I then told him the sad tale of Ed's brother flying into a wall, breaking his neck and becoming fish food. I think that scared the bejesus out of him and he will be more careful.

I propped the human door open to the feed area Bert slept in so he could go in an out at will today. I then propped the human door to the chicken area open so Bert could mingle with the real chickens. The real chickens ran through the human door to the outside, they prefer the human door for some reason, and stopped dead. The horror of horrors had occurred. There was 3/4 of an inch of new white snow on the ground. No one dared go outside. No one would be the first to try it.

I sprinkled BOSS on the new snow for them to eat at. None of them moved. Until Bert showed the girls it was safe and lead the way outside. Ernie was standing next to Bert and even he, being older and more mature was afraid. Ernie came out after Bert did. The girls followed, peace and happiness ruled once again.

Then I saw it was a day to play waterboy, so I drudged to the hydrant filled my buckets and drudged back. I have 3 waterers 2 outside and 1 inside. The inside one was empty. The other 2 had water, but the chickens all decided the water inside was better so when I carried the bucket inside they all followed me, including Bert. I filled the waterer while having to reach over 30 chickens trying to crowd around it. Bert pushed his way to the front to drink. Bert I guess thought this water was better than the water I gave him in his own personal dog dish. After I closed the waterer up I looked at the nests and saw I had a few chickens nesting and some eggs to pick.

As soon as I looked one of the hens growled at me. I did not even make a move towards the nest and she was mad at me!. Trying to help Bert get over his mourning for Mrs Bert, I advised him not to get mixed up with the grouchy one. He told me not to worry she was not his type. I collected my measly bunch of eggs all 7 of them. Gave them all a pep talk and told them I needed more rent or they would have to move else where. After all my coop is not run by the salvation army or Catholic Charities.

I saw I only had about 4 inches of feed in the feeder. So I got an open bag and started pouring it into the feeder. Again the same 30 chickens and Bert that decided they needed to eat right at that moment. I then went back to the house. I came back about 4 hours later to see how Bert was doing. Now before I go on, you have to understand, I have a "redneck" chicken yard. I have pick up toppers and Pallets leaning against each other, I have old deck railing leaning on each other to make chicken ladders and places for the birds to hide in case of eagles. Which is very often here.

I looked around the front of the coop, no Bert! I looked in the feed area, lots of chickens but no Bert. I looked in the coop, one grouchy hen sitting in the same nest still, chewing me out for looking at her. I think she may have PMS, Which in hens is bad because everyday is the day before ovulation. No Bert, I looked in the pen, No Bert. I had seen an eagle fly over an hour earlier and kicked the dogs out to eat chicken poop and protect the source of said poop. I did not think an eagle had gotten Bert, but I was worried.

Then I walked over to the white Pick up topper. There was Bert inside with a bunch of other chickens including Ernie and Nameless, my other roosters. They were seeming to get along no fighting! I am thinking I can let Bert sleep in the regular coop tonight. My only concern is Bert and his attitude towards the girls. Bert is a player, He had 3 or 4 girls right next to him and he was doing his thing. I am a tad afraid Ernie wil be upset when he sees Bert has all his women. BUT I will have to let it play out.

For those of you that call CX's dirty. lazy and less than a chicken I wish you could see Bert in action, He is living proof mainstreaming special needs chickens like him will work and improve their self esteem. You can hardly tell Bert is special if you over look the fact he weighs 25 lbs.

However, another concern has arisen, I am thinking Bert may have been complicit in Mrs Bert's death. Bert seems to have stopped mourning pretty darn fast and picking up girls already. However, it is possible the white rock was involved instead of Bert, She again was right next to Bert rubbing up against him and purring in his ears. I do not trust her at all.

(edited a ton of times to add all the "L's that did not type the first time, since the pea soup spillage incident.

Last edited:
I got a blue ribbon for my 6 duck eggs at 4H, and a blue for my 1 dozen other colored chicken eggs, i haven't found out if i got an awards like Superior Exhibit or Reserved Champion. Will find out tomorrow morning:D

Back
Top Bottom