Minnesota!

That actually sounds delicious. Do you take them somewhere to get processed? Is that expensive?
I do my own, but I know the place I just used for poultry processing does them for $5 or under. It is easy to do yourself. I would even butcher for a person if they wanted to buy them from me and not charge, as long as it isn't freezing cold out.

Rain22
Check around Otsego they had a huge # of foreclosed places so the market is still lower there. It is in the Elk River school district if that matters. I live in Nowthen & there is property around here but you'll be looking at 400k & up.

Thanks, we'll be looking around there as well. We're looking for something under 150k though and expecting to have a fixer upper.

On a side note! We visited the Lost Boys Acre farm in New Brighton and it was amazing. They offered to let us have baby quail when they hatch in a month. We currently rent half a house and have a spare room so we're going to raise maybe 4 in the room =)

Last edited:
My sister just got me an ameraucana rooster for my birthday. I'm curious if I should take any precautionary measures before introducing him to his ladies. I have 13 hens that are about 9 months old. (His name is franchesco, all lower case)

Other than the usual precautions of bringing a new bird to the flock, I would think he would be fine. The girls will have to warm up to him though. If you have any aggressive/dominant hens, they may challenge him at first, but there is no reason to think there would be a problem.

Fellow Minnesotans,
I am cutting down the breeding flock for winter and next year's breeding season. I have some lovely birds that are just not going to have room to keep them all. I have quite a few Black and Blue Cochins and some Black and Blue Orpingtons as well. I will be sorting this week if you are interested in picking some up? They are both of very good quality, breeder quality, not just hatchery.
I also have some Bantam Wyandottes that are off-color, but if you just like having banties around, these are some decent ones. They were supposed to be pure Partridge, but I think a sneak dun color rooster got in somehow with some of these. I can get some pictures if anyone is interested.
And I have Partridge and Buff Silkies. These are not the quality I want to breed, so I am just keeping a quad of the Partridge and all others are going.
If you are interested in any of these, please PM me.

I have some leftover glass and wood from my coop building project... I'm thinking about just making windows out of them and putting them on craig's list. Think anyone would buy them and if so would asking $10 be too much? I could etch the glass too....

Back
Top Bottom