Minnesota!

A friend of mine wants to buy hatching eggs from me. Do you generally charge the same for hatching eggs as eating eggs?

No, it requires more work. Purebred (or whatever the chicken term is) are worth more, mixed are less. I'd be happy paying $8 dozen for mixed, in fact... I will be buying some for that price.

First hatch of the year starts tomorrow in the bator!!

Last edited:
I should mention, for purebred bbs orps, I will be paying around $25 a dozen in forest lake. Show quality too according to the lady. I feel like that's a good deal if they are show quality.

Last edited:
@holm25
Look at your 4th from the top and second to the last pictures. It reminds me of a lavender orp I hatched out last year, yours has a little darker beak. So cute!!

Last edited:
No, it requires more work. Purebred (or whatever the chicken term is) are worth more, mixed are less. I'd be happy paying $8 dozen for mixed, in fact... I will be buying some for that price.

First hatch of the year starts tomorrow in the bator!!

My hatching eggs are a coin toss. Since we have several breeds who knows what will happen.

Who in Forest Lake sells BO hatching eggs?
I bought four 'pullets' from someone in Chisago City and ended up with two soon to be on the dinner table roosters.

I was told the garlic needs to freeze to help form the cloves. Spring planted would garner a few larger cloves only.

Maybe this is not true?
Each variety has a range of the number of cloves they will produce. It depends on what type they are.
Here is a really good site for learning about garlic http://www.filareefarm.com/growing.html
On the left side you can select types and read about their characteristics. We have gotten garlic from them in the past. We have gotten most of it through Seed Savers in Deborah, Iowa though. If we want to go with more varieties I would go back to Filagree, but for now I think I have us maxed out on how many we will be growing.
Soft necks we tried don't do well for us, so we have stayed with hardnecks.

A friend of mine wants to buy hatching eggs from me. Do you generally charge the same for hatching eggs as eating eggs?

For mutt eggs, people sell for $10-20, that I have seen. The only 'mutts' I sell are the Easter Eggers and since I am putting in the thought and space, etc to make them Easter Eggers, that counts for a little more than barnyard mix, so they go for $20 per dozen.
As for the rest, I sell my best breeds right now (Buckeyes and New Hampshires) for $4 per egg or $45 per dozen. There are plenty who go higher if they have proven show lines.
$25 is about average for people claiming to have showable lines but don't exactly have the backing. I would hesitate to pay a premium price for "show quality" that their only claim to fame is winning a blue ribbon at the county fair. 4-H winners often are Hoover or Welp Hatchery, but there are some counties with good show breeders who are winning at state fair and their families show in Open shows as well.
Be a smart consumer and ask questions if you are buying, and as for credentials if someone is asking $50-60 per dozen.

My approach as a seller, be HONEST. Know what you have, know what you are talking about, and be fair. If you make crap up and try flying by the seat of your pants, customers will figure it out and they won't come back and they will probably tell their friends.
I also wouldn't sell any eggs unless you have tested your hatches for a good hatch rate and fertility. If you sell someone hatching eggs and only have 25% fertility, I guarantee they won't be happy. That being said, if you ship eggs, that is about average of what is a reasonable expectation for those. Somehow, shipping can have an effect on eggs where they have a much lower hatch rate than if they were picked up in person and set without having to endure the USPS System.

I was busy with the plumber and went outside to check because it was too quiet. Most were in the coop.Found one of my SLW behind the pole barn being munched on by a hawk and a bunch hiding in the barn.
As I was moving the group from the barn to the coop, Napoleon ran out and called the alarm to the hens, and calling them into the coop.
For the twerp he is he has the heart of a lion!
The flock is on lockdown.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom