Minnesota!

yeah, i put a bunch of pans out with water for the red rangers and the pans were crowded with chicks standing in the water.

Tied the bedsheets (that I keep for covering crops when there is an early frost) to the fence as improvised tarps to create more shade. Thank goodness it has been pretty breezy today.

In the big coop, I'm keeping the door open tonight, I hung up fencing to make the doorway secure. A real pita, but will help the cooler night air lower the temps in the coop more than the open windows and the fan.

Also, added lots of water to the feed so it is very soupy - keeps them extra hydrated.

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Ok Minnesota friends how do I help keep my chickens cool in the heat that we will be having for the next the days. I do leave the window in the coop open on nits that I know it's not going to Strom. I give them frozen yogurt has a treat.

A quick favorite of mine is grabbing an empty gallon buck and tossing grass, fruit, etc in there then freeze it overnight. I then put it in a shallow pan for them to pick at all day. I usually do a few of them so there's no squabbles. Otherwise, I just make sure they have fresh water with added electrolytes/vitamins, and plenty of shade. If I have any broody hens, I really baby them. Mine won't leave the nest for anything.

We've had so many trees come down the past week that I can't even sit inside and relax in the cold. We still have 3 more to cut up. Let me tell ya, wood shavings sure stick to you in this heat. Yuck! Lol

Yup. .I'm from Minneapolis. I'm looking for designs for chicken coops and would love to see some of yours. .you can always pm me. .I'm harmless

Welcome to the thread and site. How many chickens are you looking to keep? Keep in mind, they are an addictive hobby! Do you live in town or in the country or somewhere in between?

First egg ever!!! Came last evening. Nothing today but i officially opened the nest box area for "business". My australorps are SOOO noisy right now! I'm almost sure it's one of them, but am excited for the fun to come. Thanks for all the support, help, comments, encouragement, especially to Minnie!

I only feed my chickens organic feed and I normally purchase it at Fluegal's in Rosemount but I found the EXACT same organic feed at Windmill Feed in Elko New Market for $6 cheaper per bag. It's not as convenient at Rosemount so when I need feed I will purchase multiple bags at a time.

Thought I would let other south metro chicken owners who purchase organic feed know that it's cheaper at Willmill. We stopped in for the first time last weekend and it's like stepping back in time.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I am a 4-H Poultry Exhibitor looking for breeders in Minnesota who breed show-quality birds. Not looking for any particular breeds, but I would like to get some brown-egg layers. I live in the Metro area of Minnesota. I'm willing to pay for expensive birds. If you are able to sex your chicks, that would be excellent.

I need to have pullorum papers for the birds in order to show, and the chicks need to be hatched after January 1st and need to be mature by mid-July, so I usually buy around January or February. Those are the most mandatory necessities.

Please contact me if you are willing to sell, and send any contact info; phone number, email, website, etc. Send a private message if you prefer. Thanks in advance.

First egg ever!!! Came last evening. Nothing today but i officially opened the nest box area for "business". My australorps are SOOO noisy right now! I'm almost sure it's one of them, but am excited for the fun to come. Thanks for all the support, help, comments, encouragement, especially to Minnie!

Congrats! I get excited whenever my little ones start laying! Almost like it's an accomplishment. Similar to when I can actually get my garden to produce something! Lol

Back
Top Bottom