Minnesota!

I am really worried now. I have a open end hoop coop. I also have had a moisture issue all along. I can't figure out how to control the moisture. After seeing the forecast, I will be removing all the bedding, which is straw and completely replacing with new. So far I have been lucky with only a very slight case of frostbite on my largest rooster. I have had frost on the roof almost constantly. Can't really expect not to when the outdoor humidity has been above 70% most of the time.

I guess i have to get the infrared heater fired that i found fired up when the cold rolls in so they have a spot to get under at least some heat. Hopefully enough to keep frostbite at bay.

I have 8 heritage RIR and 4 hatchery leghorns in the 8' x 16' coop with the one open side facing south. I hang an old blanket over the open end when i have a strong wind out of the south to cut drafts inside. I even have a couple of vents on the solid north wall that i open on nice days for cross ventilation.

Anyone have any ideas on what else i could do, or share a description or pics of your coops.

Good luck everyone and stay warm !!!

I am really worried now. I have a open end hoop coop. I also have had a moisture issue all along. I can't figure out how to control the moisture. After seeing the forecast, I will be removing all the bedding, which is straw and completely replacing with new. So far I have been lucky with only a very slight case of frostbite on my largest rooster. I have had frost on the roof almost constantly. Can't really expect not to when the outdoor humidity has been above 70% most of the time.

I guess i have to get the infrared heater fired that i found fired up when the cold rolls in so they have a spot to get under at least some heat. Hopefully enough to keep frostbite at bay.

I have 8 heritage RIR and 4 hatchery leghorns in the 8' x 16' coop with the one open side facing south. I hang an old blanket over the open end when i have a strong wind out of the south to cut drafts inside. I even have a couple of vents on the solid north wall that i open on nice days for cross ventilation.

Anyone have any ideas on what else i could do, or share a description or pics of your coops.

I've been reading old poultry books from the 30's, (great xmas present) and one talked about using "muslin curtains" to screen off the roosts and keep warmer air around the roosts. wonder if you could hang a blanket or something a couple of feet in front of the roost? I assume the roosts are in the back.
knowing chickens, this will freak them out, but maybe if you did it early in the morning they would be willing to get to the roost at night. you could always help them out if needed and if you'll be home.

I'm with you on the moisture thing - it was a 100% humidity for a few days there.

I'm piling up extra hay for bedding as soon as it gets light out this morning, and I'm considering keeping the hatchway door (chicken door) closed Sunday when the windchills start dropping. I have two roosters and 17 hens and the senior rooster sometimes chases the jr roo out of the coop during the day. Jr is the one with the badly frostbitten comb and he does not need to be out in that windchill.

so, extra bedding, extra feed before roost time, .....I'm going to put cayenne in the feed in the morning because I've read it boosts circulation which might help frostbite wise. I think I will also oil up the combs - not sure it will help but it can't hurt. Might bring the bag balm tin into the house to warm up so I can put it on everyone at roost time. I've read it is thicker and provides a better barrier for frostbite than vaseline, but that is just what I've read.

Hey fellow Minnesotans with it getting bitterly cold what is everyone doing to keep their feathered friends protected? I have ducks which are not fans of the winter right now that we are having and I'm wondering if I will have to lock them in the coop and throw out a heater or something ? Ideas? I too have been having moisture problems since day one.

windows and coop doors open today!! hopin it'll dry out some in there! so much moisture! :( fluffed their bedding and will do it again later..ladies already gave me 13 eggs today! including a Polish which i haven't gotten any from in a month!! :)

Hey fellow Minnesotans with it getting bitterly cold what is everyone doing to keep their feathered friends protected? I have ducks which are not fans of the winter right now that we are having and I'm wondering if I will have to lock them in the coop and throw out a heater or something ? Ideas? I too have been having moisture problems since day one.
Do your ducks have shelter to get out of the wind and snow? Ducks are very hardy. I don't have any other than two Calls in a hutch this winter, but have had them the last 2 years over winter. I have a small duck house that they almost never used. I kept plenty of straw in it for them to bed down. They went in after they started getting cold. As long as they know where they can get in, they will go when they are ready. Until wind chills went below -20, mine stayed out and tucked their heads under their wings.

I think you should take down the blanket. The wind we will get this week will be northwesterly, so by blocking the opening you are keeping the air they are breathing inside and the moisture they give off will remain in the hoop house. Try opening at least a foot or so at the top of the South end to let the air flow and it shouldn't bother to the birds too much. Good luck!

Minniechickmama this what their coop looks like except now I have poly around most of the coop except the door and nest. They have generally wanted to be outside in a sheltered area but I wasn't sure if I needed to put out a heat lamp while we go into the deep freeze this week. :D

I think you should take down the blanket. The wind we will get this week will be northwesterly, so by blocking the opening you are keeping the air they are breathing inside and the moisture they give off will remain in the hoop house. Try opening at least a foot or so at the top of the South end to let the air flow and it shouldn't bother to the birds too much. Good luck!
the whole south end is completely wide open except for the framing for the door and the hardware cloth. The blanket only goes down on windy days, especially when coming from the south. There is at least a 6 inch gap between the blanket and the wall of hardware cloth so there is a ton of air movement around the blanket and even through it. The blanket just lessens the wind thus reducing the drafts inside.

Back
Top Bottom