Minnesota!

I think so, BUT I may be deluding myself. They will pick up things like pop can pull tabs but they drop them without trying to eat them.

What we did is set barrels in the woods and places the chickens run. we bought us each one of those long sticks with a clamp on the end they advertise for old people. We use those and five gallon buckets and walk the woods pick junk and dump in the barrels..

We will be doing this for the next 300 years.

Our property is the same way. I'm pretty certain that the people who lived here prior to us were hoarders (we closed last November). Our current chicken coop was storage for them and was filled to the ceiling. I do believe all of that came out of their house. The first time we viewed there was only a pathway in two of the rooms. They also had 13 cats. We had to rip up all of the flooring down to the floor boards due to cat urine. We have also found some strange things in the woods. Garbage everywhere, trees grown around Christmas lights/eyeglasses/dog leashes/metal scrap, broken glass, knives all over the place. Seriously I have probably found 15 different kitchen knives just laying in the grass. It is kind of outrageous. We had a water conditioning guy out here after we first moved in that told us the unfinished basement was FILLED with dog/cat urine and feces. Needless to say we have done a lot of demo and cleaning of this property . . . Strangest part was the guy who owned this had a PhD in Environmental Services (he told us this himself). They certainly weren't very "green".

so apparently bird flu is all over mn right now, should we be worried? The little babies are ready to go in their new coop, I wanted to get them in there today or tomorrow =)

Ralph I have come to think that there is a way to make hens go broody. Put ur hen and chicks in the coop!! I did this and they stay there now but I now have another broody!!!

Is coccidiosis breed specific? All of our birds are healthy, we just had an incident last week where only 3/4 of our faverolles were affected. They looked like they were choking and gasping for air and when I massaged their crops, they threw up water constantly.

btw we are almost done with the coop =)

Ralphie-I wish I could take you up on your turkey offer!! I do want more turkeys but I just am not in a position to do it yet. What a crapper!! I do not think the turkeys I own will be producing any offspring anytime soon. Even if that hen ever went broody, the males can't seem to get mating done right so the hopes of fertile eggs seems dim. Hope you have luck listing them on craigslist.

Ralphie: The incubator I want you to get would put that turkey at about $200. You do drive an appealling bargain though. Ha!

Oh I hope all stays well in my little secluded part of the woods. I feel I have a bit of a buffer for some of this AI misery but maybe I'm just fooling myself. What can a person do though?

LaLa...that whole Marek's mess just makes me sad for you and your flock. I'm sure you feel alone in that whole riga-maro. Keep trudging away though. So sorry your CCLs are so susceptible to it. I have my fingers crossed for my own flock. Chicken problems are not fun problems.

What a gorgeous weekend we had and today isn't looking too shabby either.

Have a good one folks.

Back
Top Bottom