Minnesota!

fl.gif

My fingers are crossed for you Minnie. You're birds are toooo byootiful not to hatch!

What a beautiful day out today. Roger and ALL the girls (Creamettes and Silkie included) are trapsing along the lawn and the woods, dustbathing under the big White Pine. The pople leaves have sprung in the last day or so...so it's "Nature's First Green" out there and I just LOVE that color on the trees!

The yellow labrador has got some front quarters issues. Her legs are folding underneath her and she's falling alot. I ran her to the vet yesterday and now I run her to a Canine chiropractor in Bemidji tonight as a last ditch effort to turn her around After 6 months of Anaplasmosis, internal ear infection, etc...something is just not right with the neck or nerves we think. We are hopeful this will do the trick. She's got a good fighting spirit. Gosh I don't want another dog. This one is trained to hunt birds with husband and leaves the chickens be. She's just pure gold.
th.gif

Send some good healing vibes for my Jasmine.

And some pics of my cow getting a bath...

Ah she is pretty! Black Angus? Do you get milk from her? I had a cow when I was around 10 years old. I raised her from a heifer. (Guernsey) I got her since my grandfather gave me a bull calf. I was delighted in him, taught him to lead on halter etc then one day he was gone. I asked my gramps where he was and he replied, he is "wieners" by now! I was SOOOO angry at him, the women folk all asked him what kind of reaction did he expect? From that day forward I was offered a heifer since she would not be snatched away to the butchers. I knew bull calves were slaughtered, but he was mine, and my grandfather didn't even ask me before he took him. Suzy was a very satisfying project for me and she would come when called. Her mother (Alpha cow...not friendly at ALL) hated me from the day Susy was taken from her. She would charge if I went inside the pasture fence so Susy learned to come to me so my sorry bum didn't get trampled by Mom.

Maybe it is a screwy week and the chicks are all hatching late this week. I have a big batch in and so far only a dozen of about 130 have hatched and if this batch is a blow-out, I am going to just cry because that will mean something has gotten into my incubators or there is something wrong with my flock that chicks aren't hatching, and somebody shoot me if it is the whole flock. Nobody is sick, but this will be the 5th straight batch I have had problems hatching. Disheartening doesn't even begin to describe it.

Minnie I can identify and sympathize with you, my hatches have been pathetic this year. I am even worried about this batch. there has been no headways since this morning on the pipped egg. I even tapped the side of the incubator to see if it was a alive and got a chirp back anyways..

GOOD LUCK ON THE HATCH MAY YOU GET 99.999%

interesting.  So they actually put your flock in quarantine for 6 months?  did they leave any printed material with your wife?   You are the first person I've heard of who has been checked by the state for AI.  Remember a few years back when everyone was getting paranoid about not letting the "authorities" know they kept chickens ?

Eggs....you can actually freeze them (out of the shell).  Feed them back to the flock too....dogs love them......

No we're quarantined for 30 days. Can't take litter, eggs or chickens off my property for 30 days. The only thing they left was a carbon copy of the quarantine notice.

I'm eating eggs like crazy and I am going to try freezing them. Maybe even dehydrating.

Jailer Joe, I am glad to hear they are at least practicing biosecurity. It sounds like they've just quarantined the eggs, not given the chickens medicine, right? I would for sure be boiling, chopping and feeding every single egg I couldn't eat so save on feed bill until the quarantine period is over. Have they made you confine your birds or anything else? Just curious to see how they're handling it. Wishing you all the best for a healthy flock.

I very much enjoy the thread. Take care, MN peeps!

No medicine. I don't think there is anything they can give them. If the test is positive I expect they would just make me cull them. My birds are confined to the coop and run and they didn't tell us to do anything else. If our property wasn't listed they'd be free ranging most of the time but they're hell on my lawn and we're trying to make a good impression.

Yep I'm going to be feeding lots and lots of egg! Thanks for the well wishes but I'm confident they're healthy. The guys doing the testing said as much too. I don't have any ponds or anything around and I honestly don't know where the nearest flock is. The Jenny-O turkey farm is probably 5ish miles away as the crow flies. Unless an infected shore bird or something flies over and poops in my run, I think we're ok.

Back
Top Bottom