Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    sometimes the local chicken list in mpls has someone who brews who has the spent grains. And last weekend was some sort of brewing festival day and they posted on that list to start coming by all the brewing places in the afternoon for all the spent grains. That was in the cities....

Since I work in the cities, I've pciked up the 40 pounds of grains once - froze it, and the chickens loved it.

happy rain day, everyone!

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

You're right, I should have seen that right away. I have heard about them but never seen them. They are referred to at the Togo Bar and grill as simply "TTT's" or the
    "triple t's". I know the guests at ThistleDew camp spend weeks every year trying to find more of them.

The price of eggs has doubled now thanks to your keen vision and ability to identify them. Thank you so much..

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am really blowing this hatching stuff.

I have eggs set to hatch Friday.

I went to take them off the turners and "lock" em down. I have one unzipping already. It is a turkey egg. Luckily I have been trying to keep the moisture up so that is a good thing.

The turkeys seem to be going early this spring, I assume that is because I am incubating turkeys, Chickens and Guineas together and the temps area tad higher than turkey temps.

These are not the rare Togo turkey, these are blues.

5. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    We had to wait 9 months for our first egg. We have kahki and rouen. We will be getting some buff and pekin to add to the newly hatched ducklings from my hens. I am most excited for the pekins.

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    That should be fun!!!

Pekins r my favorite ducks ever. People told me they were to "plain" but I think they're beautiful. We also had Cayugas, Rouen, Saxony, Appleyard and a Black Indian. I ill find an older pic of our 10 Pekins and 5 Cayugas free ranging. The black and white mixtures r so cool.

7. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I have always wanted Cayugas!! It just never worked out when we ordered that they were available. They go quick. Maybe next year. (I have said that for 2 years now [​IMG])

8. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012

We are in the cities and very nearby the brew pub where we are regulars and know the brewer well. Dh trucked home 2 large Rubbermaid trash cans full of spent mash grains. I probably should have frozen some, but we have access to it whenever we want, so we poured it in a mountain in the run instead. The flock went out first thing to gorge themselves today. I should probably have given some to the boys in the bachelor pad since they don't have access to that run. Whatever is still there in a day or two I will just rake out and compost.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Anyone need hatching eggs? I have some for sale and need to get rid of some. PM me if interested

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    You are like me, you do not need to get of hatching eggs, you need more incubators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by