Minnesota!

For this state, breed selection is key for wintering chickens.
And again, I can't stress how awesome the Buckeyes are!
wink.png

But to those of you who worry about your birds getting too cold. Check out my breeding coop on my profile page. It is open year-around on the South side. The birds get frostbite when it stays -20 IF they have single combs, and IF they put their head in the water. Staying open in that dry weather keeps the moisture from building up and causing issues with breathing as well. The wattles got bit this winter because I use heated dog bowls and their wattles dip in too when they drink. There isn't much to do about that since they must drink and I haven't figured out if I can keep nipple waterers from freezing well enough to use out there. I plan to test that this next winter though.
My coop is usually 10-15 degrees warmer than outside, even with 4- 4'X5' open windows to the South. That Sun when it does shine can make those birds feel SO much better in Winter. Being open only on one side, there is no draft and the wind doesn't blow snow it either. I do get a little snow sometimes, but not bad. I am roofing the outdoor runs, so hopefully that will be good enough to keep the pens completely dry by the windows too. I will use clear roofing material for half of it so they can still take advantage of Sunlight, but also get a little shade in the Summer when it can get cooking in there. I will be adding a fan on either end for Summer use, but will close it off in Winter to avoid drafts.
My coop is based on something called the Woods' Open-Air Design that has been in use for over 100-years.

I'd love to do a Turkey or two...but with the chickens, and low spots on the property--Blackhead last year. I think it wouldn't be fair to the bird that I get one. We'll leave DH and son to getting us a turkey.
hmm.png
We've had a Wild Eastern Hen across from our driveway almost everyday last week, foraging and dusting in the 4-wheeler trail. I notice she's gone this week...she must be setting now. Always fun to see...that's for sure.

Thanks again Minnie. I'll post some pics if I get som little ones arriving here Memorial Day...
jumpy.gif

You will need way more ventilation, and cross ventilation than you think! Most chickens are fine without any heating whatsoever, if, and it is a big IF, you have enough ventilation. Look at some of the info on open air coops. In the winter, lack of ventilation = frostbite. It isn't the cold, it is the humidity.

You are going to want lots of options - because in hot summer muggy nights, you want to have enough air flow that your chickens can cool down in the night air. That is especially important if you have an insulated coop that will retain the sun's heat in the summer.

Thinking about where your coop will be will help you figure out where the windows/ventilation should be in the coop. Consider wind direction and southern exposures...Generally, you want to avoid having winds blow thru at the roost level. If your coop is too small, you can solve some of that problem by hanging curtains around the roost area to screen off drafts- scrap material or thrift store sheets/blankets. It is better to have drafts than it is to have so little ventilation that ice crystals are building up on the walls.

Think about roof overhangs, or a way to swing windows open from the top - to keep rain/snow from being blown into the coop.

Access to electricity is great for
1. heated waterers, especially if you are not home during the day to replenish frozen water.
2. fans for the nights when the heat is life threatening for chickens
3. a heat source in case you have specific breeds that don't do well in the cold (remember, chickens survive in Alaska and elsewhere, including MN without ANY supplemental heat).
We don't heat our coop (well not really, I leave a heat lamp on in there during spells of Polar Vortex, but that's about it). I protected any of my flock with single comb by applying bag balm over their comb skin regularly. It prevents build up of moisture which will cause frost bite. My roo got just the tiniest touch of frostbite to one of his points before I started applying the balm, but no one else got any. And I made sure to clean up regularly to keep the droppings from giving off moisture to the air in the coop.

Here's hoping if we get a big storm tonight or tomorrow that the power stays on cause I have 7 d'Uccles on day 20 (with one pip) and more eggs on day 16 and a bunch more on day 8!

Back
Top Bottom