Minnesota!

@duluthralphie I get a kick out of your ever changing tag line. Just so you know that somebody notices...
gig.gif

dang. I didn't notice. now I have to go backwards.....

about older hens....sometimes they are good with the flock, sometimes its time for the stew pot. I have a 7 yr old who still lays a few times a week. Craigs list will get you someone to take them . I kind of like knowing that they went fast and weren't scared, and were handled kindly, though.

dug potatoes. got the squash in. forgot the pie pumpkins. I'm ready for a hot soak and the best thing in the world, which right now is my bed!

You'e be feeding those freeloaders a while if you just let the die of natural causes.  I don't butcher mine, I sell them to people who want to do that with them.  They usually go with a batch of roosters when I sell the extras off.  
The other option is to have the butchered then can them.  That way you have tender, very chickeny tasting meat ready to go in soups and casseroles without the hassle of thawing and cutting and cooking.  You put it in the jars with a pinch of salt, pressure can for 20 minutes and put it on the shelf.  Doing it bone-in adds to the flavor.  I like it and use it that way with some, but my kids are grossed out by how it looks, so I have to wash the jars quick before they see I used the canned stuff.  LOL

I have wondered about that. Old hens are tough. I was wondering if anyone had tried canning them and how it turned out. Or what else to do with them

My DW thinks I should tell the Dr it is time for the knee replacement, I want to hold off about 5 years before I do that.

I'd do it, everyone I know who has had it done wished they had done it sooner. My mom is having it done come february. She wants it healed before gardening season.

Why didn't anyone tell me we were going to dip below freezing last night? I'm always the last to know...
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have wondered about that. Old hens are tough. I was wondering if anyone had tried canning them and how it turned out. Or what else to do with them
I was told to do it by someone who does hens that way. I did it with a bunch of pure and crossbreed cockerels I needed to get rid of. I wish not that I would have schedule to take a few of my leftovers in when I take the turkeys in two weeks. Maybe next year.

Who? me? My only bounding bundles have feathers and they came from you!
gig.gif

I'll post some 20-week pics of them tomorrow

LOL My bad, one of you chicken kooks had a baby and got chicks from me and I had it stuck in my head it was you. Sorry about that. And no, your avatar doesn't make you look fat either, I never implied any such thing!

just thought i would check in its been a few days,,, sad nobody noticed,,,LOL... that's OK I'm still a newbie.. anyways all is OK in the hen house my new white girl is getting along just fine and blending good with the others (well she did have to kick butt 4 on one) but my new black girl is having a bit of problem she doesn't seem to have any gumption and sticks close to the white one for protection. she doesn't get pecked but she sure gets allot of exercise from being chased around. At night i have to pick them both up off the floor and place them on the roost, I always place the white one next to the others and the black one on the end in hopes that they wont pick on her...Any ideas how to get them to accept her???? So when does everyone start to winterize your coops??? i was thinking of putting the wrap around the outside soon i hate to have to do it in the snow...

Back
Top Bottom