Minnesota!

We didn't get any direct sun today at all. IT did brighten a little before sunset and there is a band on the horizon that looks clear (where the super cold air is coming from). I coughed my way through chores. Having a cold/flu and doing chicken chores just isn't any fun, especially when ice must have settled in one spot on the hose making it unusable. I only have to carry 2 5-gallon buckets out to do the water pans on the outside and one to do the inside waterers, but still not fun. That hoop I made is toasty enough, and those boys look better and happier than anyone else in the flock. Maybe I should have just made a few of those to begin with? I plan on lifting it and rolling it out of the way come spring and just scooping the poop out with the tractor. We will see if that plan will work though ;)
I got a few eggs, but once again, someone either broke or ate some in the Buckeye pen. It could be that they are crowding in one nest to lay and the eggs get broken, but I need to workout for sure what is going on there. Not today. It is possible I need a couple more nest boxes for them.

I don't know how much we are going to grow, IF we do. It is still and IF. My research and learning so far is looking good, but I have a few things i need to sort out before we commit. If you can help me find something to grind grain with for a few hundred bucks that would be my current hurdle to cross as we will be milling our own feed. If you find know of someone getting rid of a grain mill or roller mill let me know! that would be a good way to secure access to half a hog :)
wow, that is great, you will have this whole thread on the look out for a grain mill! me included :)

@lala

What do you feed your chickens?

I would love to feed organic, non-soy but can't afford it. I feed a variety of mixes from a couple of local feed mills. Sometimes Grasston's feed (layer mash or the higher protein hog mash), sometimes askov's all flock mix or layer mix. Sometimes a gamebird mix. My all time fav is Dan's in Superior, I'm always bringing back a couple hundred pounds when I'm up in Duluth, assuming there is room and its my vehicle. Believe it or not, some don't like to haul feed in their car! imagine that!
I just keep repeating to myself "the chicken forum folks say my chickens will be fine...my chickens will be fine....my chickens will be fine." I'm going to assume my goats will be too. The goats are out in a very nice 3 sided shed during the day, enclosed at night. They don't seem cold. The chickens are spending most of their time indoors but come running out to greet me (i.e. get some treats) every time I go out to the coop. I have to say, as nice as the weather has been for doing chores, a part of me is okay with the challenge of COLD weather. Hopefully we won't have it for weeks on end. (my chickens will be fine...my chickens will be fine...)
lol, you're doing great!

I would love to feed organic, non-soy but can't afford it. I feed a variety of mixes from a couple of local feed mills. Sometimes Grasston's feed (layer mash or the higher protein hog mash), sometimes askov's all flock mix or layer mix. Sometimes a gamebird mix. My all time fav is Dan's in Superior, I'm always bringing back a couple hundred pounds when I'm up in Duluth, assuming there is room and its my vehicle. Believe it or not, some don't like to haul feed in their car!

What!? not haul feed in their car??!! I can not tell you how many times we have left the feed mill with about 750-800lbs. I just live far enough away that you have to make the trip worth it. The sweet aroma of feed swirling around the car in the hot summer is the best!
sickbyc.gif

well, I'm tired of sick chickens. The BO with the bum legs stood a tiny bit this morning, and then humped herself into a corner. I moved her back so she was facing feed and water. Came home tonight, she was back in the corner. I put feed in front of her and she started chowing down. So I had to stand there and wait in the cold while she ate, when she was done I turned out the light.

Cottonlouie, despite me telling you your chickens are fine, just fine in this bitter cold, I did find myself picking up the silkie and moving her to a different roost between two hens for better warmth. That is because I dont' trust those silkie feathers/hair.....

I did buy another little heated dog bowl for the BO that was all fluffed out this morning and not interested in eating. I will set that up tomorrow. I am not happy with all the extension cords but my partner assures me that the breaker will trigger and I don't have to be so nervous. Nevertheless, I've strung up the 3 way plug so it isn't sitting on hay - you know what I mean, one of those orange jobbies that you can plug three cords into on one extension cord. They are running the dog bowl, the xmas light, and the heat panel which is supposed to be low wattage that I have on the sick BO.

On the good side, the stars are absolutely gorgeous tonight, and I have a couple dozen homemade lefse in my frig.

What!? not haul feed in their car??!! I can not tell you how many times we have left the feed mill with about 750-800lbs. I just live far enough away that you have to make the trip worth it. The sweet aroma of feed swirling around the car in the hot summer is the best!
sickbyc.gif

I know! and they get worried about 300 pounds, don't want the weight in their car. But, 4 adults, hey you are way past that.... My element always has hay in it no matter how I clean it out.

Will use the truck for a lot of hay, but for just a couple bales I can't justify the gas on the truck even though I love it ('94 F150 supercab longbed in red and white - what's not to love?) . And I'm always storing hay at Sue's place because she has one of those pole barns and plenty of room, so that is why the honda always has hay in it.

Back
Top Bottom