Minnesota!

the cream legbar rooster Ralphie gave me . looking happy with his flock this morning!

I think he is the best rooster I have had in all these years. He is so gentle with the girls, and his sex drive seems more like an older rooster rather than a tetosterone fool like most yearlig roosters. Very sweet.

A better look at his poor frostbitten comb. Definitely naturally dubbed. His wattles have healed up just fine.

Thanks for telling me about the picture Lala..

Other than the tail coming off at a little too steep and angle and the Minnesota Cushion Comb, he looks like a winner. I am glad you like him. His brother is doing me great also..

BTW He could have the white recessive gene to throw White sports, I have gotten 2 so far out of about 50 chicks, One died because of birth defects, but I have one girl that is real healthy... You will love the color eggs he can bring you,,, Thanks again for telling me about him.

No chicken here, but thought I'd share my view for the next 2 weeks! The anxiety of MCM's hatching was getting too much for us so we took the kiddos (2 and 8 months) to southern Florida until the 12th. I'm still following everything, just from a cabana while wearing a swimsuit and not mud boots :)

Mama cow is in labor! Defiently not going in the pen! If we get close she starts charging so we will keep our distance! Will post pics when the calf is born!

@Minniechickmama I am curious about my dark cornish
1) I have 1 thats nails are getting super long and the top beak is starting to get long too. should i be trimming either/both?
2) one of mine seems to have sleep apnea or something? three times now over the last month or more i go in the coop thinking it is dead but as soon as i touch it it hops up and runs away, awake and clear eyed. seems to fall asleep on its feet? have you ever seen anything like that? doesnt seem sick or anything normally. The dark cornish dont usually even leave the coop so maybe just a lazy bird :)
1st answer, yes, you may want to trim both the toe nails and the beak. You can do the beak with a nail trimmer, but the toes I would use a dog nail trimmer on. Just watch how far back you trim, just like dogs, they have a quick that runs down the middle of the nail.

Birds can sleep on their feet. I find them doing it in summer usually. They might be afraid of the others still. Who knows what goes on in a crazy chicken's brain?

1st answer, yes, you may want to trim both the toe nails and the beak.  You can do the beak with a nail trimmer, but the toes I would use a dog nail trimmer on.  Just watch how far back  you trim, just like dogs, they have a quick that runs down the middle of the nail.

Birds can sleep on their feet.  I find them doing it in summer usually.  They might be afraid of the others still.  Who knows what goes on in a crazy chicken's brain?

Good deal. I will try to have DW help me this week. I worry the long beak may impair eating.
I hope you don't take these questions to mean I don't like them, because I love them! They are fun, look nice, and so meaty! I can't wait to make meaty babies with them!

minniechickmama, keeping my fingers crossed on those eggs!

althalia, after hearing about the rooster having breathing issues after hopping off a hen, and after eating, I'm thinking it is not gapeworm, or anything like that - but probably related to heart or age? I would save the money on the swab. If it was gapeworm, I don't think it would be intermittent.

I would keep them in quarantine as you would normally, and then not worry. If it is heart or age, nothing you can do. Minnies advice on the feed makes sense to me too!

what a gorgeous day! Sue and I went to st croix state park and hiked with her dogs. St Croix river ice was breaking up, saw eagles and ravens, found some owl droppings, I forget what you call those bundles of fur and bones that they pass.....think I even got a little sunburn!
Do you mean owl pellets? Our kids all go to Eagle Bluff for a 3-day field trip in 5th grade. One of the classes is dissecting owl pellets. Nasty.

I am running the eggs through and will pull duds as they happen. It sucks, but poop happens, right? Last year I lost 5 weeks in a row to an incubator problem. After troubleshooting and trying to figure out what was doing it. I shut is all down and reset everything and started getting great hatches again. I can handle this. I lost a lot more eggs last year and had chicks hatching with guts hanging out and all sorts of craziness.

the cream legbar rooster Ralphie gave me . looking happy with his flock this morning! I think he is the best rooster I have had in all these years. He is so gentle with the girls, and his sex drive seems more like an older rooster rather than a tetosterone fool like most yearlig roosters. Very sweet. A better look at his poor frostbitten comb. Definitely naturally dubbed. His wattles have healed up just fine.
A very, very beautiful bird!

Back
Top Bottom