Minnesota!

Passed the neighbors place today and saw a big backhoe.looks like they tore down the rest of the barn. Seems I'll have more barn coon looking for food. Dang and I was hopeful they had moved on. Perhaps with it being so early they won't pit stop here and eat chickens. I still miss my penny chicken losing her hurt awfully And my orps I got from minnie. I swear if this is over this year. I'll be looking to diversify my coop again.

Well, those coon are having babies right about now or in the next three weeks, so get your traps ready! We have cut down most of our old hollow maples, and almost every one of the 40 or so we had had nests for coon in them. I am surprised I haven't lost more birds to them. I think I have only lost two to coon, which amazes me. I have lost the most to the weasel last year, which I am nervous about now because the grass needs mowing in the chicken pasture where it got them last year, but it keeps raining when I have a day I can get out to do that. In second place for predation is Great Horned Owl. I had a beautiful young BLRW cockerel just starting to fill out a few years ago, an he came up missing one morning. I found his leg about a quarter of a mile down the road where the owl must have chewed it off to lighten the load or something. Just enough feathers were on it to tell it was him. I am much more careful about training them to go to roost inside now, and last year I didn't lose any to owls.

I don't have Orps any more, but I am sure I can come up with some pretty birds for you when you are ready. I might get the BLRWs back this year too ;)

By the way, if any of you are interested I have 13 EEs from last hatch I would sell and 4 New Hampshire/Welsummer crosses too. They are 2-weeks old. I have another batch hatching right now with about 10 more EE eggs in it. PM me if any of you are interested.

Well, those coon are having babies right about now or in the next three weeks, so get your traps ready! We have cut down most of our old hollow maples, and almost every one of the 40 or so we had had nests for coon in them. I am surprised I haven't lost more birds to them. I think I have only lost two to coon, which amazes me. I have lost the most to the weasel last year, which I am nervous about now because the grass needs mowing in the chicken pasture where it got them last year, but it keeps raining when I have a day I can get out to do that. In second place for predation is Great Horned Owl. I had a beautiful young BLRW cockerel just starting to fill out a few years ago, an he came up missing one morning. I found his leg about a quarter of a mile down the road where the owl must have chewed it off to lighten the load or something. Just enough feathers were on it to tell it was him. I am much more careful about training them to go to roost inside now, and last year I didn't lose any to owls.

I don't have Orps any more, but I am sure I can come up with some pretty birds for you when you are ready. I might get the BLRWs back this year too ;)

By the way, if any of you are interested I have 13 EEs from last hatch I would sell and 4 New Hampshire/Welsummer crosses too. They are 2-weeks old. I have another batch hatching right now with about 10 more EE eggs in it. PM me if any of you are interested.
Any chance on bantam BLRWs?

Minnie, keep me in mind if you get any BLRWs. Do you do any crosses to specifically get Olive Eggers?

My favorite olive layer has officially lost her marbles. She's causing too many problems in the flock, which in return gives me less eggs. She's like a ball of terror running across the field and mean as h***. Her time has unfortunately come.

Minnie, keep me in mind if you get any BLRWs. Do you do any crosses to specifically get Olive Eggers?

My favorite olive layer has officially lost her marbles. She's causing too many problems in the flock, which in return gives me less eggs. She's like a ball of terror running across the field and mean as h***. Her time has unfortunately come.

As a matter of fact..... I DO! I have a beautiful Blue Cuckoo Marans hen in my EE pen. I think the NH hen in there will produce offspring who will lay an olive color. I have a couple of dark olive layers that may end up lighter in the next generation.. I also have a couple of BLRW hens in the EE pen, so SOME of them come out with markings more like BLRW. ;)

Well, those coon are having babies right about now or in the next three weeks, so get your traps ready!  We have cut down most of our old hollow maples, and almost every one of the 40 or so we had had nests for coon in them.  I am surprised I haven't lost more birds to them.  I think I have only lost two to coon, which amazes me.  I have lost the most to the weasel last year, which I am nervous about now because the grass needs mowing in the chicken pasture where it got them last year, but it keeps raining when I have a day I can get out to do that.  In second place for predation is Great Horned Owl.  I had a beautiful young BLRW cockerel just starting to fill out a few years ago, an he came up missing one morning.  I found his leg about a quarter of a mile down the road where the owl must have chewed it off to lighten the load or something.  Just enough feathers were on it to tell it was him.  I am much more careful about training them to go to roost inside now, and last year I didn't lose any to owls.

I don't have Orps any more, but I am sure I can come up with some pretty birds for you when you are ready.  I might get the BLRWs back this year too ;)

By the way, if any of you are interested I have 13 EEs from last hatch I would sell and 4 New Hampshire/Welsummer crosses too.  They are 2-weeks old.  I have another batch hatching right now with about 10 more EE eggs in it.  PM me if any of you are interested.
I trapped all winter and fall they took every chicken. I was just raging.if they are denning some where it's not my place or judys. They cut some major trees and demolished a barn. They will have to den else ware.the other two neighbors don't have much place for them to den either.I'm hoping they run far away looking for a den site. Had to be coon with them breaking coop to try and get in. The last raid they squished through a awful tight spot.left the coop opening every way this winter as a show of no food for you. Crossing fingers though.

Is there any truth to the adage that you will either have cats or coons, not both. They don't co-habitate? I had coons in my shed when we moved in, I trapped them all then we started seeing feral cats around. Then our kittens showed up in the barn and have been around since. Have seen a coon or skunk since

Is there any truth to the adage that you will either have cats or coons, not both. They don't co-habitate? I had coons in my shed when we moved in, I trapped them all then we started seeing feral cats around. Then our kittens showed up in the barn and have been around since. Have seen a coon or skunk since
I hope that's true, Mr marsten;a stray adopted us. I would rather have the orange cat than a raccoon.

Last edited:

Illegal occupation of a nesting box.

No idea. My worthless guard dog, Rosie, keeps them away.
Hope your cat feels better. Sounds like an abcess to me.

Back
Top Bottom