Minnesota!

@mnbrewdude I would definitely put plastic around your run, coffee 1st and bogtownchick both do that works out wonderful to keep the snow and rain out, keep them dry. here is a photo of bogtownchicks, if I find coffees, i'll post it as well.
bogtownchicks run with plastic

Found coffees.

I'm assuming you have a roof over your run? then it works great. I use greenhouse panels on mine, but that is not feasible for everyone. you can see my set up under my Avatar, click on "My Coop"

Get a big tote, I use a big oval rubber horse feeder from fleet farm)but i've also used totes), fill it with organic peatmoss so they can dustbath in the winter. some people mix in sand and diatomatious (sp) earth.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm back with another question:) I just bought 6 laying hens yesterday. They are in quarantine, and a good thing too I just found bloody poop with a couple worms in it. Yesterday I put apple cider vinegar and 1 crushed clove of garlic in their water, could this have caused a slight die off of the worms(they were dead when I found them)?

Good morning, AlezaJ. It could but I would not count on vinegar and garlic to replace a proper deworming. It's more of a sign that your new hens need to be dewormined.

When chickens free range during the summer/fall they are bound to pick up worms. Will you treat your entire flock?

Good morning, AlezaJ. It could but I would not count on vinegar and garlic to replace a proper deworming. It's more of a sign that your new hens need to be dewormined.

When chickens free range during the summer/fall they are bound to pick up worms. Will you treat your entire flock?

I have a lot of wormwood growing in my yard so my current flock basically gets that free choice(they ate a LOT of it this summer) so they shouldn't need to be dewormed. I still haven't decided how to treat my new hens. I need to do some more research online.

I have a lot of wormwood growing in my yard so my current flock basically gets that free choice(they ate a LOT of it this summer) so they shouldn't need to be dewormed. I still haven't decided how to treat my new hens. I need to do some more research online.

What you see as bloody may be just the lining of their intestines shedding. If they have worms, then that can happen along with passing them. Did you ask if they were dewormed when you bought them? If the worms are dead, that is a possibility. I prefer to use Safeguard for fall deworming and Wazine in the Spring. I don't looking down on the natural approach, but for me, I want to know that I don't have anything lurking in the gut so I can get on with breeding and those are sure fire methods to get them dewormed, especially the Safeguard since it is a broad spectrum choice.
Good luck with your new girls!

Yep. It is slow here at my favorite forum. So busy.
Chickens have been very happy. I have little to no problems. They have been sleeping in their run alot. No predetors where i live so i think they feel safe. But i came home last night and they suddenly were all in the coop but one. Maybe something scared them. Boss chicken was still purched in the run on the coop door. She always gets jealous if a different chicken gets attention and pecks at them.

It is good to hear from you BR! My birds are seeking more shelter now once the Sun heads down. Some are still outdoor roosters though. That will change very soon though.
Heading to Hutchinson tomorrow for the State Show. The show is actually Saturday morning, but lots of cool birds will be there. Over 2000 are expected.

Yep. It is slow here at my favorite forum. So busy.
Chickens have been very happy. I have little to no problems. They have been sleeping in their run alot. No predetors where i live so i think they feel safe. But i came home last night and they suddenly were all in the coop but one. Maybe something scared them. Boss chicken was still purched in the run on the coop door. She always gets jealous if a different chicken gets attention and pecks at them.
I would not be surprised if there are more predators than you think there. My step dad lives in st. Paul, a couple blocks from McAllister college. His neighbor has 3 chickens, they have seen raccon, fox, and coyote trying to get to those girls.
sad.png
More predators than I've seen out here in Nowthen.

It is good to hear from you BR! My birds are seeking more shelter now once the Sun heads down. Some are still outdoor roosters though. That will change very soon though.
Heading to Hutchinson tomorrow for the State Show. The show is actually Saturday morning, but lots of cool birds will be there. Over 2000 are expected.

Good luck in Hutch Minnie!

Back
Top Bottom