Minnesota!

Hello, folks! I hope all is well in the world of chickendom in Minnesota!
I am finding thinner shells and an abundance of feathers laying around these days. Time for molting season! In fact, one Buckeye hen is half naked and molting furiously. That is a good thing though. She is turning into a temporary porcupine. I am sure the others will follow suit in due time. Egg production is down too. That is okay, my schedule is pretty busy these days, so fewer eggs to wash and store is fine with me.
I hope the Summer has been well for all! Don't forget to check in with pictures and stories of your birds!

Good Morning All~ We survived fair week 2 weeks ago. The kids showed some birds in 4H class, our neighbor kids showed some of our birds in 4H class. There were a few birds left for Mom to show in the open class. I am really proud of how well the kids did....in fact my neighbor earned a Pink Ribbon (Reserve Champion) in Showmanship. She had never touched a bird until this spring....but she did her homework on her bird and she communicated with the judge with ease! My daughter took home 3rd place in the Breeding Trio pen. (Not quite good enough for a state fair trip.....) There is always next year!

That's fantastic! You gotta start somewhere and it sounds like you all got a good one! The kids will need to study if they want to someday go to state fair. There is an interview portion of going up to state that all members must participate in when they get there. There is a written test, then an interview for the top 20% of those tested. It is really a wonderful program and experience!

Hello all! I'm up in Duluth, just starting with this whole chicken thing! We've got an Easter Egger that we adopted, a few years old, and we are treating her bumble foot with the help of our awesome vet. And our others we raised from chicks, still only 12 weeks old. Turns out our Polish is a rooster... Not allowed in city limits and we don't want fertilized eggs anyway. (Anyone want him???? ) So then we also have a BuffOrp, Black Australorp, Black Sexlink, and Barred Rock hens at 12 weeks. Whew!

Hey Peeps! How many of you have feathers flying all over your yard? It's that time of year, thin shells, bleaching skin and feathers dropping and new ones coming in, otherwise known as molting season! :eek:
If you all have some funny pictures to share, post them here!

Back
Top Bottom