Minnesota!

Welcome to all the new MN chicken people! I let my birds out this morn came in and checked the temp: 4*! Brrrr they seem fine and were happy to get out. No snow on the ground here tho!....yet!
big_smile.png

We have a few inches here so far. Beats the brown dried up look anyday, however the birds will not set foot in the snow. This is their first real winter outside. We used to lock them up in our garage over winter every year. This is officially their first winter in the new coop with access to the backyard. Spoiled I tell ya! Hope everyone is staying nice and toasty.

Cleveland, MN

Colleensstuff: I've seen the pictures of medicineman's silver laced brahmas and they are amazing. I would love to buy some. I'm planning on ordering 12 light brahmas, 12 Easter Eggers, and 1 Australorp from McMurray hatchery this February. (We will heat our coop, it's insulated better than our house; we joke and call it the "man cave" since it's in better shape than our old farm house.) Are you going to breed and sell your silver laced ones?

Quote:
Yes, I'm planning on incubating the eggs as soon as they start to lay. They're pretty slow to mature. I can let you know when I have chicks or hatching eggs. I might have an adult pair to sell, I have to look at their lacing and type and decide which roosters are worth keeping for breeding. I've ordered some chicks from McMurrays before, but I didn't have them shipped until the end of May. It's just too cold at night in the spring for the chicks to keep warm on their own.

You're a long drive from my town. I see you have silkies and barnevelders also. How are those breeds?

Summer98....just a heads up that we have monthly swaps all spring in New Ulm and a few swaps in Hutchinson too. They would be less than an hour drive for you.
wink.png
I'd have a pair of young silkies ready to go right now too. Blue cockerel/splash pullet. They just aren't quite good enough for the show ring, but would still make awesome pets.

Back
Top Bottom