Minnow trap for snakes

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
We’ve relocated multiple large black rat snakes this year, but they just keep coming. After seeing one at a guinea nest, I decided to try this minnow trap. I enlarged the end openings and stuffed with guinea eggs and I set it in the nest at night. So far, there have been no takers… Anyone use a trap like this?

Attachments

• 536613CF-8290-4199-ABC3-88B6C5D71334.jpeg
    536613CF-8290-4199-ABC3-88B6C5D71334.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 98
Large glue boards work well but obviously not easy on birds so they need to be out of reach for the birds. Once captured you can place the snake in a bag to relocate. Upon relocation pour a small bottle or a few cups of corn oil on the glue board so the little guy or gal can wiggle free un harmed.
I didn't know there was a such thing as large glue boards. This is interesting because I am absolutely terrified of snakes, any and every kind. The only reason I request these to be moved away from where I'm working and where my chickens and ducks are is because they terrify me but I've been told they take care of the more poisonous snakes. If that's untrue, I'll start requesting they're relocated far far away off of the property. They're usually just moved to the other side of the pond. The smaller ones I try to just avoid. They haven't bothered my ducks and the ducks will inspect from a little bit of distance and then go about their business, all the while keeping an eye on the snakes. Last year my drakes ran a large snake all the way across the pond 😟

Please, please do not use glue boards. It is an awful, horrible way to die. They also catch other animals (birds, and other wildlife) and kill protected species. Wildlife rehabilitators receive injured animals from glue traps constantly. The adhesive can rip skin, and animals will often chew off their own limbs trying to escape.

Black rat snakes are non venomous and beneficial to the ecosystem. Please relocate safely and do not use glue traps.

Please, please do not use glue boards. It is an awful, horrible way to die. They also catch other animals (birds, and other wildlife) and kill protected species. Wildlife rehabilitators receive injured animals from glue traps constantly. The adhesive can rip skin, and animals will often chew off their own limbs trying to escape.

Black rat snakes are non venomous and beneficial to the ecosystem. Please relocate safely and do not use glue traps.
Oh no! Thank you for this information. I've been told that the ones I've had are chicken snakes and the 7 or 8 ft was a black snake. I guess they are both "black snakes" . I'll continue to just have them moved to the other side of the pond. I still don't love them but I can respect them and their need to thrive for the ecosystems benefit. Thanks again for speaking up about this. I appreciate it

I will agree as a licensed wildlife rehabber don't leave glue traps out for snakes. I'll also say I don't deal with snakes in my fish pond or my chicken coop. If I catch one in my coop I use rat shot in my .22 pistol.

Did you ever find any snakes in the trap? I've had multiple snakes after my duck eggs this year. The largest one was between 7 & 8 foot long, but of course I didn't get a picture of that one. This snake was unsuccessful in eating this duck egg.
View attachment 2766366
My minnow trap has not caught a thing! It’s so frustrating because I know how strongly our Western rat snakes are drawn to guinea fowl eggs. I usually catch them by hand, but I was feeling whimpy that day and didn’t want to get bit/sprayed. I should have left the snake eating guinea eggs undisturbed and located gardening gloves then grabbed the snake amd relocated.

Back
Top Bottom