Minor injury

Ceakmama

Songster
May 2, 2021
Alaska
Do I need to do anything for this? My about 8 week old chick got her head stuck in the chicken wire of our run. She seems ok, but I noticed a little blood. She's in the coop with the other chicks now. I was letting the chicks out of their enclosure to mingle in the run. This one hurt herself though. She's a red star/sex link.

Attachments

• 20210926_125829.jpg
    20210926_125829.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210926_125828.jpg
    20210926_125828.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1
Yeah I’ve had lots of them get cuts there and on there beaks and stuff. For me as long as it’s not some big open wound (or anything) I don’t mess with it.
Good to know! I thought I had a nice, safe run. Then 3 of my chicks find trouble! Only 1 has a mark to show for it, but it's like they are looking for danger out there.

They can get into all kinds of trouble. Secure all doors and gates open and closed. They can get hurt so easily when a door blows open or closed, a bucket turns over, falling into a water bowl, eating feed bag strings and anything dropped around the coop (glass, hardware, etc.) Nails or screws poking out of a wall, rough wire fencing, and all sorts of things can hurt them. If there is just enough room to fall behind an object inside the coop and get stuck, they will.

Back
Top Bottom