Minor Leg Limp..?

SCchickengal

Chirping
Jun 4, 2021
New chicken owner here. This Columbia Rock Cross cockerel (3 months old) has had a slight limp for at least 2 weeks now. There aren’t any “injuries” visible to the eye but we had 3 other incorrectly sexed cockerels we got rid of this week and I know for sure one of the others picked on him a little bit. Otherwise, I’m not sure what happened. What’s the protocol on this? Does something like this usually cure on its own? He can’t stay, unfortunately, since we’re not able to have roosters where we live but I don’t want to offer him anywhere right now since he has a bum leg. :( Any advice? (Video included at the bottom- right leg)
DC35E541-8B90-4492-A093-0EDEDFBDEC68.jpeg
Leg Limp video

My thoughts only. He's quite gangly, so it may be developmental or genetics.
You can try giving 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day to see if leg performance improves.

If it doesn't, then offer him for butchering. Sorry.

My thoughts only. He's quite gangly, so it may be developmental or genetics.
You can try giving 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day to see if leg performance improves.

If it doesn't, then offer him for butchering. Sorry.
Thank you for the reply! My husband was saying he looked skinny as well. We’ve made peace with maybe having to release him to the butcher if no improvement. He’s been like this for 2+ weeks I don’t see any improvement, but I could share my B-complex to see if it helps. The area he pulls away from is in the hock area under the feathers.

Have you checked the bottom of the foot he's limping on? Bumble foot or another injury is possible. Is his behavior otherwise normal?
Yes, no bumble foot indications or other injuries visible to the eye. He seems to pull back a little in the area under the feathers. Behavior I would say is not normal. He isn’t making any chatter to us at all, and doesn’t have typical cockerel posture, etc. I am unsure of his eating habits, because we haven’t separated him. But PP and husband say he looks a little thin. Is it necessary to separate him or leave him with his 3 hen friends?

Thank you for the reply! My husband was saying he looked skinny as well. We’ve made peace with maybe having to release him to the butcher if no improvement. He’s been like this for 2+ weeks I don’t see any improvement, but I could share my B-complex to see if it helps. The area he pulls away from is in the hock area under the feathers.
If he's doing ok with his 3 hen friends and not being a pest to them nor are they picking on him, I would leave him until you make a decision. No need to stress him by separating unless you find it necessary.
Since he does seem to indicate some pain, then he may be suffering from injury. Some injuries can take a while to heal.

He's only 3 months and a large fowl cross, he may be a bit slow to mature.
I know for some the thought of butchering is off putting, but I do process any extras that I have. I cuddle them as chicks, feed/water and care for them and treat them as if they are here to stay for the long haul (except I usually don't name them). I try to give them the best I can until the time comes. Not for everyone, but if I go from start to finish, I know how the bird was treated every step of the way.

None of them seem stressed. They’ve been through a lot of changes in the past week or so, losing 6 members of their flock (4 being accidental cockerels🥴) so things are very subdued out there now. I’m hoping for a turnaround, but certainly realistic. I have the same mindset you do. They’ve been babies till this point, at least I know he’ll be treated well while he travels his circle of life.

Leg has not gotten better, unfortunately. He is also still not crowing or displaying any other rooster behavior, I assume to lay low.

Back
Top Bottom