1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minorca or White Faced Black Spanish HEN or ROO? (with updated pic)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanchickmama, Aug 28, 2011.

1. urbanchickmama

urbanchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    We have 13 chickens all around 22weeks old. 3 of them are DEFINITELY roos, and the rest, as far as we know, are pullets. This one has me a little confused though. It seems like "she's" got very developed comb/wattles for a hen, but it seems like if 'she' was a 'he', he would have at least tried to crow by now... what do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's an additional "tail" picture:
    [​IMG]

here's a pic of 'her' sister for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I can't see a clear tail shot, but if you look at google.com/images and type "black minorca hen", you will find several with combs that are as big as your chicken's... ? [​IMG]

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm 99% sure that's a hen. A Minorca rooster should be crowing by now and have obvious sickle feathers.

Are the saddle feathers (just in front of the tail and behind the wing) long pointy and shiny, or rounded?

4. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have a White Face Black Spanish there and I think is is a roo.

5. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I think I'd tend to lean more toward roo... that comb and wattle are really big and red compared to "her" sister. Any chance you could get a better shot of the tail?

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:I agree. If you go to the Minorca page on Feathersite there is a handy side-by-side comparison. Your's appears to be a White Faced Black Spanish, not a Minorca.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by