Minorca thread!

Pics
Just finished reading through this whole long thread! Wonderful information and beautiful birds! Tom, your buff project is really coming along. Lots of work there.

Dan, I thought I saw a link for your book "Spanish Breeds" and figured I would go back to it when I finished the thread... now I can't find it. Was it a link? I remember in January at the show in Stockton, CA one of the book dealers there told me about a book by that title but said it was and old copy.

I breed Andalusians and got a cockerel from Tom a couple years back, I think I'm looking at trying again here pretty soon Tom... if anybody is flying from Virginia to Nevada anytime soon... please let me know. Or if you're having better luck this year with getting pullets as well as cockerels... let me know that too.

If you guys think Minorcas are rare, try breeding Andalusians.

I was able to go to the first Crossroads in 2007 (?) and saw some of the Rademacher's Minorcas! Took my breathe away! Stunning birds!

So, Dan, about that book? I'd really like to read it if its online. I wouldn't ask you to send it to me as you don't know me. Does it contain info on the Andalusian?

I am updating and adding lots of articles and pictures to the Spanish breeds book as we speak. Yes it has Blue Andalusian material.I did the original edition in the early 1980's and I think it might be a good idea to put all 4 of my booklets into a cd,as they are getting to big to print out.The buff book is about 800 pages,Spanish breeds 400 pages and the art of breeding and White Leghorns are both 125 pages each. Dan Honour

Dan,

Is the art of breeding available for purchase?

Thanks!
Mike

I am updating and adding lots of articles and pictures to the Spanish breeds book as we speak. Yes it has Blue Andalusian material.I did the original edition in the early 1980's and I think it might be a good idea to put all 4 of my booklets into a cd,as they are getting to big to print out.The buff book is about 800 pages,Spanish breeds 400 pages and the art of breeding and White Leghorns are both 125 pages each. Dan Honour

I have two Buff Minorca and 3 Black Minorca...all hens. While they are hatchery birds, they hold the type characteristics of the Minorca. They are delightful ladies...a little flighty at times, but great personalities.

One of my Buff hens has gone broody so she is now incubating a clutch of Columbian Wyandotte eggs for me. Minerva is becoming a wonderful little mom:

The other girls, lost one of these hens last fall.

2 of the Black:

Hello Minorca followers.

Checked out my young birds today. Looks like I have some nice young ones growing out right now. From my SC Male and RC Female it seems that a majority of the progeny are RC. I looked thru them all and I saw a couple nice looking young RC cockerels and have probably 4 or 5 very nice young RC pullets coming on as well. I think I only have 2 SC that have hatched out.
I have some younger ones I cannot tell too much about yet and just hatched out 3 or 4 more. Maybe I will get to 20 hatched out for the season, which will be enough for me.
John

Lacy,

Look on page 5 and 6 of this thread and you can see some pics of RC Blacks I have posted on here. While they are not mine, they do give you an idea of what they look like. They truly are impressive birds when you see them. I will freely admit I am hooked.

I am hoping I will have enough birds to set up a couple of trios or quads of both SC and RC next season. Just depends on how many more I hatch out and how they look once I go through them.

John

Well here I am again with another Minorca update.
I have hatched out a pretty decent amount of SC and RC Minorcas this spring. They are developing well so far. It looks as though I have hatched out 6-8 nice SC Blacks, will most likely cull all of the cockerels as I have a very nice SC cock bird from last year that is a different line also. For my RC Blacks I think I have two very promising cockerels that are big already. From what I can tell so far I think I have 4-6 nice looking pullets of the RC's. At this point I am thinking I will have 2 breeding pens next year. One for the SC with my old cock bird and my SC pullets. The second pen will be the best of the young cockerels mated to his mother and his best sisters. Not the greatest of breeding ideas but I do not have a ton of options. I might just cross the best RC cockerel against his mother and then use one of my SC cockerels from a different bloodline against all of my RC pullets.

John

Thanks for your update. I'm pleased to hear that someone on here is working with this breed and excited about them. Keep posting, I enjoy reading your progress.

Back
Top Bottom