Minorca thread!

Pics
Hi all. I'm fascinated by the Minorcas. I got a few from local farm store. All I know about them is what I get from Henderson's Breed chart. However one of the chicks does not look to be a Minorca. Here is picture of it. Oh yea, these- I believe came from Ideal. Is this a Minorca chick? The other four I have are Black, dark legs, this one has brown on face,wings and orange legs.

This is one of the other four....

THANKS

Hi all. I'm fascinated by the Minorcas. I got a few from local farm store. All I know about them is what I get from Henderson's Breed chart. However one of the chicks does not look to be a Minorca. Here is picture of it. Oh yea, these- I believe came from Ideal. Is this a Minorca chick? The other four I have are Black, dark legs, this one has brown on face,wings and orange legs.

This is one of the other four....

THANKS

that is definitly not a minorca you can tell not just from its color but also the shape of the head i would take it back to the feedstore unless you still want it

Minorca update here. I am slowly but steadily hatching some RC Minorcas out. I have a few but a few is better than none. I also have over a dozen SC Black's set to hatch tomorrow. Hopefully they will hatch well, will update in a few days.
My original pair is looking much better, filling out slowly and surely over time.
John

Another update, I think I am talking to myself here but will continue to update as I please. Hatched out 8 SC Black Minorca chicks from good stock yesterday. Glad to have some new blood for my Minorcas for the future.
I am having a serious debate with myself about possibly buying some RC White Leghorns.........just because I would like some.

Glad to hear you are having some better luck hatching this year.Good luck with the chicks and hopefully you will have some good ones for new blood to work with.Like you,most of the time I hate to respond to posts ,for I seem to stop and kill all the replies quick..Just wanted to let you know I am reading your updates and wishing you well with the Minorcas. Dan

Congrats on the hatching's! That should be very exciting to see how they progress. I will have to go out sometime and see them!
I have been kicking around getting some RC Leghorns, but........bantam of course!
The LF of so many breeds are so impressive, I just don't think I have the space.
Jill

Dan, I was not referring to you or anyone else. Just felt like I was the only one posting on here for a while. We are all busy people and sometimes we do not post if we do not have anything to say really.
No worries.

I am excited about all of the Minorca chicks hatching out. Would like to get some more RC stock but not having much success getting in touch with the breeder I bought mine from and honestly do not know if there is anyone else out there with any of them.

By the way Dan, would love to see some pictures of how your Lavender Minorcas are looking this year.

I think Sandhills quality is somewhere in between Exhibition strain and Hatchery quality. Have good type but not quite the size of exhibition birds which is indicative of hatchery blood in them.
They are a good starting point I would say though.
John

To increase size is a very slow process if done by selection only within the group gene-pool.It would be very helpful to get some large exhibition birds to work into them to help add the missing genes for size,frame and skeletal extention.It might also take a few generations inter-bred to have these size genes to recombine into the gene combinations,for some may be recessive .

Back
Top Bottom