Minorca thread!

Pics
The White Minorcas are very good,the males look like Minorcas.It is hard to tell the size but type looks good.They are scarce so keep working with them.Looks like some flecks of black in the plumage of a few and some slate leg color in a few.If they are good enough you can use some of these off colored females,but keep using white males with pinkish white shanks. Dan

The White Minorcas are very good,the males look like Minorcas.It is hard to tell the size but type looks good.They are scarce so keep working with them.Looks like some flecks of black in the plumage of a few and some slate leg color in a few.If they are good enough you can use some of these off colored females,but keep using white males with pinkish white shanks. Dan

Thank you Dan. According to the breeder the splash and cuckoo colors are due to a black/white cross. I am not positive but I believe the breeder said that if you cross these colors back to white they breed back all white chicks. However, I need to check and confirm with the breeder. Unfortunately I only hatched 5 females out of the eggs and 11 males. An unusual sex ratio! Ive culled down to three males (two white and one cuckoo) and kept all the females- two white, two splash and one cuckoo.

Dan- What do you think I should do if I want to get rose comb whites? I was considering getting a really good RC black male to introduce RC blood or perhaps getting some hatching eggs from someone that has big RC blacks. Thoughts?

That's not the first time I've heard that with the White x Black giving Cuckoo. I know a breeder this way did that by accident as well. As for if it will breed back to white, that's beyond my "hear-say."

I thought perhaps a black minorca cross a few generations back.Yes A S.C.White Minorca X R.C.Black Minorca,would be the way to make R.C.White.I would use a white Legged male on RCBlk.female.It will take time for you will get S.C. back out and SC carriers with lopped rose combs..If you keep selecting white leg males it will help get white legs.White leggged to white legged is best.Slate to slate =all slate.There is sex linkage and white leg males can carry slate,but white leg females are pure. Slate leg females if good can be mated to white leg males and may produce white leg daughters.

Nice to see some Whites on this thread that is dominated by Blacks so much of the time. Glad to know there are interested fanciers out there working on this lovely breed. Love those males, great size and carriage to them. Cannot see the females really well but look good from what I can tell. Great points and advice as always Dan.

John

Back
Top Bottom