Minorca thread!

Pics
I received my second batch of Minorca chicks from Sand Hill this morning. 7 White, 10 Buff, and 10 Black. All are healthy and bright.
I also have already noticed the difference in leg color of the White Minorca from the last batch as compared to the White Leghorn. The Leghorns indeed already have more of a yellow color to their legs.

Keep us posted as how they compare to each other in type and size,and also to the standard. The whites are rare and a good flock of them would be very helpful to several interested in breeding them and making rose combed white minorcas.

Dan, I have to admit my real intrigue is with the White Minorca. I have followed many a whisper and rumor as to where to find them in the Midwest. Unfortunately they are only available from Sand Hill in small lots, so that is why I ordered two batches. I ended up with 12 white, so am hoping this will get me a start. I have the time and interest to work on keeping a vestige, all the while also improving their type.

Great to hear you want to work with the Whites. A few years ago Tom Roebuck got some Whites from Sandhill,but only got a few.He said they were not fertile and could not hatch anything from them.Hopefully with 12 of them,you will have much better luck.

I may order another batch of Whites, just so I can pick the best out to breed from. I also have 13 Black and 15 Buff from Sand Hill. I ordered 10 Black and 2 Buff from another Iowa hatchery last summer and find them to lay very small eggs. Some of the Black Minorca are just a bit bigger than our Lakenvelder. That hatchery's description of their Minorca is quite inaccurate, stating the hens should be stately 7# specimens.

From what I have heard Sandhill Blacks are okay ,something between the small hatchery kind and the Big show lines. Their Buff and Whites are hatchery type being small and high tailed. Yes good Minorcas are long ,tall and large ,hen 7 pounds males 9 or more.Egg size extra large. They are wide backed,wide between legs,large shanked and carry the tail above horizontal. Combs on the large size but balanced,eyes dark brown,earlobes big and red faced free from white.

Thanks for the information. I can only hope that I am able to get at least a trio of nice birds from any of the colors I have. I have around 50 Minorca now, so we shall see..

Back
Top Bottom