Minorca thread!

Pics
F1 cross buff leghorn bantam x black Minorca bantam

F2 generation blue and black chicks from the blue hen

F2 from the blue rooster

F2 from the blue hen

F2 from the blue rooster (one of these two is the blue rooster in my profilepic)

And the blacks from my black rooster with his black daughter, 2 already died, I think I need some fresh blood cause they are getting to much related to each other I think.

indeed - and, that is a minorca roo? looks like a blue andalusian roo with big earlobes - very nice sickle feathers
Yes it´s a Minorca, Andalusians look very different then Minorcas. They have smaller earlobes, different colour, are smaller in total, the back should be horizontal with minorcas while the back of an Andalusian should incline downwards.

Last edited:
Thank for the Minorca bantam pictures.In regard to Toms large Buffs,those are pure Buffs in that picture.Tom was not quite satisfied with them,wanting them bigger ,more Minorca shaped and laying bigger white eggs,so a Black was was used. The F1 were black,slate legged,with red in neck (males some red in saddle and wing bows),the F1 females were bred back to pure Buff males=f2 more buff,having slate legs and black marking on back and tail. F2 females back to pure Buff males,some good buffs with white legs.. If you breed together f1 or f2 you may get a small percent buff. If you want white legs ,only use white leg males,you can use them slate leg females and some of her daughters will come white legged .

So the F1 generation back to the buff leghorns? I can use an F1 rooster in combination with my white legged leghorn bantam hen.

indeed - and, that is a minorca roo? looks like a blue andalusian roo with big earlobes - very nice sickle feathers
What is a "roo"? I know what a Cock or Cockerel is, but I dont know what a Roo is.

Thanks for the pictures of the Minorca bantams, they are non-existant here in the US so it is nice to see some of them.

Roo is short or slang for rooster,which only indicates a male and not age like cock and cockerel.. Yes you can use your white leg Buff Leghorn hen,it is a slower process ,mainly since the one female does not produce as many eggs/chicks,but yes you can do it in reverse and hopefully the hen will live and lay enough years to get into 3 or 4 generations.

Roo is short or slang for rooster,which only indicates a male and not age like cock and cockerel.. Yes you can use your white leg Buff Leghorn hen,it is a slower process ,mainly since the one female does not produce as many eggs/chicks,but yes you can do it in reverse and hopefully the hen will live and lay enough years to get into 3 or 4 generations.

WyandotteTX was trying to teach someone to use the word "cock" - he is a chicken expert...I caught it because I have seen his posts before and always think of him as an expert.

Of course everyone else (including me) is grateful for any scrap of knowledge you old timers can give us! (I know you are an expert too!)

I can let him speak for himself, eh?
lol.png

love.gif
you experts

Last edited:
WyandotteTX was trying to teach someone to use the word "cock" - he is a chicken expert...I caught it because I have seen his posts before and always think of him as an expert.

Of course everyone else (including me) is grateful for any scrap of knowledge you old timers can give us! (I know you are an expert too!)

I can let him speak for himself, eh?
lol.png

love.gif
you experts
I wouldnt classify myself as an expert, I am just experienced haha. Dang, I am 42 and just got called an old timer. Crap.
old.gif

My point was that yes, if you consider yourself a "chicken" person and want to converse with others about chickens, try and use the correct nomenclature. I am patient and understand what you are saying but there are many that will automatically categorize you and ignore anything you say after the word "Roo". A male under the age of 1 is called a Cockerel, a male over the age of 1 is called a Cock or Cock bird for those that dislike saying that word alone. It is the same for a Pullet and a Hen.
Just trying to enlighten the masses in the ways of chickendom that have existed for the last 150 years. So many new to the fancy get caught up in the vernacular used here on BYC, that despite its enthusiasm, is very incorrect.
Roo is just a pet peeve, as is lockdown. I have hatched chickens since under the age of 5 and have NEVER done that practice or said anything was ever in lockdown in regards to incubation. I have locked down the chicken house at night many a times though.
Ya'll have a great day and weekend!
John

Back
Top Bottom