Minorca thread!

Pics
I'm in Tulsa, OK and looking for black Minorcas for my granddaughter's 4-H project. Does anybody know where to get eggs or chicks from good show quality lines? And thanks so much in advance!

Some really nice animals in England!
0.jpg

See, I am not really a fan of the extra large earlobe that the European birds have. Their bodies are too small and head, combs and earlobes are disproportionately too large. Just my preference though.

See, I am not really a fan of the extra large earlobe that the European birds have. Their bodies are too small and head, combs and earlobes are disproportionately too large. Just my preference though.
I prefer the smaller earlobes too.

Thanks for the video SanderB! It is fun to see other countries' chickens. What I noticed about those birds in the video is that they generally seemed calm and non-aggressive. What a wonderful breed. (I skipped though the video and watched a lot of it that way so I may have missed certain segments of course.)

Some animals have too big combs and earlobes and wattles, indeed. But their are a lot that have the perfect size to me.
(I commented on the video, I am Axolotlvriend)
Of course the question is, how did the original Minorca looked like. And therefore we should all need to go to Italy and look at the Italian standard.

Minorcas came from Spain if my memory serves me correctly. Dan is the breed history guru to ask. Leghorns did come from Italy though.

Some animals have too big combs and earlobes and wattles, indeed. But their are a lot that have the perfect size to me.
(I commented on the video, I am Axolotlvriend)
Of course the question is, how did the original Minorca looked like. And therefore we should all need to go to Italy and look at the Italian standard.
I always have my sound off...will have to go back and listen. :)

I liked seeing so many Minorcas on display in the English video.I think the earlobe size in the US has shrunk over the decades and is really too small for such a big bird.We really could use a shot of the English bloodlines,an old timer once told me you have to use extremes in the breeding program if you want to correct a fault,otherwise the median will not be far enough in the direction you wish to go. I feel as though the earlobe is one of the first things you see and the contrast is what is striking and appealing in appearance. I also like the width of earlobe as it gives some shape and surface area,the narrow thin earlobe hangs loosely and is shapeless. Perhaps some of the English birds are too big in comb size and even some of the earlobes are plenty big enough,but our American Minorcas are the opposite extreme in earlobe size (most are too small and lack shape),yet so many of our Minorcas will show white in the faces (especially older birds) that amazes me the big earlobed birds of England do not seem to show any more white in the faces (and perhaps even less) than our small lobed birds here. We could use more male lines in the Minorcas in the US for most of ours appear as female lines today. I like the size,type,tallness length,and big tails of the American Minorca,I also feel the comb and wattles are about the right size and would not want them any bigger,but the white earlobes should be bigger here in the US. It may also be showy enough to attract a few more breeders to the ranks ,for they can be show stoppers and stately,impressive,huge birds of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom