Minorca thread!

You did not say if you had any Minorca females or not.Are these hatchery stock?The reason I ask is the hatchery birds are often way to small.Minorcas are a very large bird with length,height and weight.They are a bit slow to mature,so at nine weeks they are kind of young to cull.I find they are about fully mature at 1 and 1/2 years old.They tend to be long legged without much breast muscling when young.The combs keep getting bigger,so as youngster I do not want a big comb or a blade on the comb that follows the neck,as it will follow even cl;oser as it ages and will turn.The tall leggy ones make better old birds just as long as they are not so narrow in back width that they are knock kneed.The females,especially when older, should lay very large white eggs. For breeding you might want to keep an extra male around in case something should happen to one,especially if they are large and good representatives of the Minorca breed.

Quote:
Danhonour, thanks a lot for the response! I have a couple of Minorca females. All the Minorcas are hatchery stock and I am sure they are not pure Minorcas as they are way small (definitely a lot smaller than my Delaware chickens) at least at this age. I am getting some more in the spring from Sandhill this time. I was not going to cull them right now. I have a total of 15 hens and 4 roosters and only want to keep one rooster with the hens. The rest goes into the bachelor's run. So I'll take your advice and keep the tall one with the ladies. I hope to get some nice birds from Sandhill. I am even getting some buff Minorcas with the new black ones. I am sure there will be a great rooster in that group as well. I really appreciate your advice as I am fairly new to the chicken world (at least as the decision maker
roll.png
) and totally new to Minorcas. Here are pics of the roosters:

69348_copy_of_img_4427.jpg

69348_copy_of_img_4440.jpg

I just got thru looking at this link and reading most of it. I absolutely love all of the drawings of the big Minorcas. The Rose Combs are most impressive to me because I have never seen any of them.

Guess I seem to be the only person posting on this thread....haha
I have had Minorcas in the past. Large, Majestic birds.....would love to have some again but I would like to find some RC Blacks or RC/SC Whites. I think they are all pretty rare and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of interest on BYC for them either.

I like lurking here and reading everyone's posts!!
tongue.png
Can anyone elaborate on their Minorcas? Personality, hardiness, egg size, rate of lay, weights, growth rates, etc?
A great old breed, sadly not many people interested it seems...

I have a little bit of History with Black and Buff SC Minorcas. Have raised some off an on over the past 30 years. I did have a trio of SC Whites and really liked them also about 10 years ago. Their personality is not bad for an egg laying variety. They are very vigorous when it comes to foraging for themselves, can withstand most weather. Their eggs are very large, chalky white eggs. Larger than Leghorn eggs for sure. They lay extremely well also. My dad showed me pictures when I was growing up of his great uncle who lived close to them who had a flock of 100 Black Minorcas that he would sell eggs from. Was nice to see a flock of those birds. That gets to the next information and yes they are larger in size than most Mediterraneans. Males around 9 lbs and females over 7 lbs. They dont grow as fast as some birds do but even the largest of them will mature more quickly than heavier breeds.
I have always been a fan of them. A large Minorca male with full comb is something to behold to say the least. They carry themselves with such a majestic manner imo....

Quote:

I fell in love with minorcas when I saw a beautiful minorca rooster competing at the state fair (I believe he had a number of blue ribbons pinned to his cage, too). He was so regal and gorgeous, and his hen in the adjoining cage was sweet and had gorgeous green-sheen to her black feathers (she also had blue ribbons on her cage). I have coveted this breed ever since. I have done a great deal of reading up on them and would like to have a pair or trio at some point (can't have roosters here but working to get a place where we can have them).

A fellow BYCer who has a hatchery stock black minorca hen is selling her to me in a couple of weeks & I cannot wait to get her, but it would be wonderful to get hold of some fertile eggs from a good breeder and hatch them out in our incubator. Hopefully I will get my hands on some soon.

I still have a few Black Minorcas and had Buff Minorcas back in the 70's and 80's.I recenly re-did my book SPANISH BREEDS and I included both the 1898 All Minorcas and the 1907 Minorcas of Every Comb books.Ian Selby (poultrynz)says he is getting requests for it and my BUFF COLORATION and is currently working on their layouts. I was reading some 100 year old writings on Minorcas in the UK,they had them so huge some cockerels weighted 12 lbs. and pullets 9 lbs with 3 inch plus wide earlobes.

Back
Top Bottom