Minorca thread!

Does anyone know if rosecomb Minorcas even exist anymore? Sorry, but I can't find any mention of them anywhere.. Anybody know of some around still?

Quote:
I do think there are some RC Black Minorcas still around. I want to say I saw a listing sometime recent of someone who had some but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was. I am really interested in obtaining some. Heck I would settle for some quality SC Blacks. I had some SC Whites about 10 years ago wish I would not have gotten rid of them....

I know Bradley Buttram has RC Black Minorca large fowl,but I think he is a small breeder that doesn't have many for sale usually,but for the patient serious breeder,he is a possible source. Self Blue or Pearl Grey or Lavender Minorcas are known over seas.I read that the late C.S.Th Van Gink (Poultry Artist and writer) knew of them in the 1930's in Belgium and wrote of them in the 1950's. I currently have a small mating of S.C.Lavender Minorca large fowl,a product of ten years work backcrossing to large Black Minorcas. Lavender Minorcas are not in the APA standard.I wanted to get large lavender bird with good tail length and wide feather qualities,not all that easy with the lavender gene in the US.

Most of the hatchery Minorcas are small and lay small eggs.Regardless of where your Minorcas are from,you can make selections toward large sized birds in the breeding pens and then cull the eggs before you set them in the incubator by yearly raising your minumum standard on egg size and color.You want the eggs white,good shelled and extra large in size ultimately. It is an ongoing process that takes several years to see results,but they will come if you are steadfast.

I am excited about the possibility of finally getting some RC Black Minorcas this spring. Its one of those Heritage breeds to me that need to be bred and spread to other breeders.

I wanted to introduce myself. I am Brad Buttram. I and my father both raise Minorca chickens in SC and RC Black. My RC flock is a combination of the Forrest Beauford, David Moore, and Adrian Rademacher bloodlines. The SC birds are mainly Rademacher with a small infusion of the Beauford line from two SC birds that hatched from the RC lines. I will try to get some images up later today.

I have been trying for months to find minorcas, specifically black minorcas. There are none in my area. I *love* minorcas (see my avatar??? He was a blue ribbon winner from last year's California State Fair & I fell in love with him the minute I looked into his beady little eye and heard him crow). Can't find the birds, can't find the eggs, best I could hope for is to order chicks from a hatchery (which ain't gonna happen). I've been told by a number of folks there is a minorca breeder about 80 miles from here, but not a one of them seems to know her name or have any contact information for her.

Glad to see you on here Brad. I was the individual who corresponded with you last week about your RC Blacks. Tom, Dan has sent me some pics of your birds and your progress. Looks like youre doing a great job with the Buffs!

Brad, thank you for contacting me and helping me out! I got the phone number/contact information from the APA site you suggested.

By the way,
welcome-byc.gif

I have long coveted both minorcas and WFBS, and it looks like I will be able to hatch out a few of BOTH this year, thanks 100% to the kindness and wisdom of the people here at BYC.

Quote:
They are definitely a work in progress but at least I feel I am making progress. I guess I could post a couple pics on this thread. I did post a couple on the Buff Leghorn thread...

This male is from a Leghorn X Minorca cross so looks a bit more leghorn than Minorca but has good size, and great color. He has white legs so he's in with 4 pullets that are from an f2 Buff X Black Minorca mating. I had crossed Buff and Black Minorca and then bred those f1's together, and kept the f2's that showed the most Buff and good type.
15970_dscn0760a.jpg

Same male with the pullets...
15970_dscn0761b.jpg

This male would be a full brother to the pullets in the above photo. Good size, good head, too short in the legs, hock, and neck. Decent tail carriage though.
15970_dscn0780a.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom