Miracle Adoption!

pumphousehill

Hatching
7 Years
May 12, 2012
We have only had a few chickens for a very short time, and are very much beginners. We just bought eight babies of four different breeds to put under our broody hens (who are first-time mothers). Even though the chicks were at least three days old, and some over a week old, every single one was accepted by the mamas! They are doing a great job taking care of their new babies! They have been together for six days now! Yesterday, they took the babies outside for the first time! The mamas are Marianne, the Black Maran, and Polly, the Polish Silkie. We bought two Rhode Island Reds, two Buff Orpingtons, two Barred Rocks, and two Cornish Cross's. As beginners, we did not know much about the breeds. Later, when I researched each breed, I became very sad about the Cornish Cross's. It looks like they will have to have a short life, unless their legs can hold their weight. I hope that they will have a good life with us. I can say this, the hens are so happy, and the chicks that were miserable in a store cage are now so happy to snuggle under Mama (or ride on her back!)!

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

What a fantastic story! I think your chicks will be very happy in their new home.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom