MIRACLE~~~LA-200 Dosage AND VetRx for CRD treatment

Final Conclusion on my experience/advice.
Well I'm having a few regrets right now but I just couldn't bring myself to killing the Orig. Hen that caught this. It seems that these instructions for the dose of LA 200(above) works better on Young flock. The 1 YO Rooster has stopped sneezing but you can still hear some congestion/wheezing. The other 2 older hens(the Orig Brahma 11YO,& a 8YO Rock Hen) aren't doing as well. The Orig Hen is back to sneezing which is NOT a Good thing. This is how the 3 other flock members have caught it & this is why I feel I should have eliminated her after I seen the LA 200 treatment only suppressed the symptoms during the treatment. I found that after the 2 initial injections after 2-3 days ALL symptoms returned "except" the excessive runny nose. I'm still seeing ocass. minimal fluid. The BIG problem is the Intermittent sneezing & upon laying down she resorts to mouth breathing. In addition she WILL NOT eat any layer crumble,meat bird or pellet.
I notice the other hen is following the same pattern so here is some advice if you decide to keep your sick friend & this is based on MY Personal Experience!! I FEEL PERSONALLY that the Vet RX is a waste of $. It has NO medicinal value & you can take a sm. chunk of Vicks & add it to warm water. I WOULDN'T put it in the mouth but on the comb or around the Neck area IF the Hen is still tucking its head during sleep. I also wiped it on the Inside of the tub in her sleeping area. I also noticed that by placing a chunk of 2x4 wrapped with an old rag seems to help them sleep. It will simulate roosting & keeps the pressure of the Tub surface off the lungs. I put the shavings on the other side & used the Board to keep it squished against the backside of the tub(board & shavings should be level to each other). The one who has it the worst lays her backside in the shavings/plants her feet on the edge of the board & slightly keeps her chest elevated. The Vet RX seems to stimulate her sneezing & I see NO difference in breathing!
Food Suggestions; If you find they won't eat the pellet you can "try" applying a tad of Mineral oil & mix it good(just enough to lightly coat). I DID notice they will eat "some of it" with this method. SEED seems to be the BIG hit & some cracked/sm kernal whole corn. There seems to be issues with swallowing anything that wont slide. What confuses me on this is they LOVE crushed Corn flakes/I have even seen them swallow a whole flake! I have "tried" rice,beans,Fish & they will eat a sm. amt of Fish(Tilapia not as fishy) but don't like the rest. The Young Rooster,hes eating fine!
I'm hoping with Summer around the corner that it will help but my expectations for the next winter are NOT good.
OH,they seem to LOVE sprouting Grass seed(when your weeds/grass starts seeding). If you are keeping them indoors you may want to try clipping some & bringing it in. Yesterday it was Rainy/cold so I kept them inside. However the one that is the worst was having a fit to go out. When I brought the clippings in she went crazy & ate every bit and it calmed her down. Last thing is I placed a towel on the side of the tub with clothes pins which allowed her to roost during the day & this calmed her down also and she breathes better.
YES,I Love my Girls. However,you DO need to think of the others because this IS a CHRONIC Condition & if one continues to sneeze after treatment it will only spread faster! Most of my Flock is older & MY Favorite Rock Hen who is 10YO has just showed signs. THE ONE BIG DIFFERENCE WITH HER IS SHE HAS ALWAYS LOVED HER VITAMIN/ELECTROLYTE WATER & SHE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AS BAD AS THE OTHER OLDER HENS! I treated her as soon as I seen the symptoms & still has LA 200 residual so I can only pray. I DO advise that especially if your hen or Rooster is older that a follow up(3rd. injection) may not be a bad idea 3 days following the 2nd.(per the above instructions). Obviously this Medication is NOT a Cure all BUT symptom wise I can only say that the Young Rooster is doing well. After I completed the 2nd. dose I kept a close eye & as soon as I seen him sneeze(was the 3rd. day after the last injection) I went 2ml OVER the 1cc. & he hasn't sneezed since/ This was 3 weeks ago. In the End all this medicine does is supress the symptoms & It Will NOT Cure the Disease!
Good Luck & God Bless!,Luciana

I have a link regarding my hens, sneezing and all of that. I thought it was CRD and per necropsy, it was found to be parasites and weakened immune symptoms.
You might want to know for sure, sacrifice one of them. Call the state lab.
Check the link on my signature line.

Well I finally went to a Vet & she tested for CRD/MG & its Neither! She then thought it was Aspergillosis but being others have contracted it that isn't the case either. I treated with Baytril AND LA 200(PER the Avian Vet the LA 200 should be used for "2 WEEKS" so that part of the instructions listed is incorrect). She seemed to be doing VERY well except for a light crackle in her breathing. Its been 1 week since she had her last shot & I see regression even with the cont. use of Baytril! I'm suspecting there are some Heart issues on top of it all. The only way I will know at this point (I Guess) is per a Necropsy at U.C.D. She is 7-8YO so I can't afford to keep chasing. I hope my Other 2 recover & don't relapse. They are younger Hens. Boy what a disaster! I have 1 Hen dropping eggs & the ones she does lay are sandy/gritty(no Respiratory) & another with Cancer(per Vet).
The crazy thing is when she was done with her La200 treatment these Nodules seem to have disappeared? They were pretty big & her abdomen was distended. She wants to drink All the Time & eats some lay pellet & Whole Corn. I have to assume its still there. What really confuses me is that she is pooping fine. I have been tube feeding since she doesn't eat enough. On top of that she "acts" like a human with a Cold(mouth breathing & some issues swallowing). I thought it was a blocked sinus but the Vet assures me this is Cancer. I DO Notice when she drinks I see a sm. amt. of food at the bottom of the water so maybe its backing up to a degree.
Well thats all for now. SO THE TRUE TREATMENT WOULD BE 1CC EVERY OTHER DAY FOR "2 WEEKS".(espec. if the hen is older). I DID treat a Young Rooster for only 1 week & he DID seem to recover. IF its NOT CRD/MG you don't want the bacteria to build a tolerance!
T.C.,Lucci

Just had my flock diagnosed with CRD aka Mycroplasma gallisepticum. I think the treatment you have discussed is probably the best option I've seen if you intend to treat and not cull. What I wanted to point out for others reading this is that the Dr at the Department of Agriculture who did the testing, was quick to say that this is not something we've done wrong...it is most often introduced through wild birds in the area. If you free range or have fencing that allows for small birds like the gold finch and swallows you are running a higher risk. I can't see changing my practice of free ranging but thought it important that people not question themselves and their practices. Yes good husbandry of animals is paramount but with all the best practices this could still happen. I was told that some breeds of wild birds actually all have it. With that said, you can check with the department of agriculture in your area. They did it for me for free, as a small flock owner. Yes the bird was put down to do the test, but at least now I know for sure and can address the situation. Hope this helps.

FOLLOW UP WITH GREAT INFO. FOR PEOPLE CHOOSING TO KEEP FLOCK WITH CRD/MYCOPLASMA/COCIDIOSIS OR ANY RESPIRATORY DISEASES.
I have done quite a bit of research online/via Avian Vet especially for CRD. You may want to read for yourself so the site is Tiamutin.com. You will see it states for NON U.S. Residents only. I advise to ignore that. In the Search box type in "Field Trials" You will learn everything you need to know about this Disease & pics. to show you how it affects the respiratory.
VERY IMPORTANT FOR FULL BLOWN CRD: USE THE ABOVE DOSING FOR LA200(1CC EVERY OTHER DAY BUT FOR 2 WEEKS FOR 5-8LB HEN). IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE DENEGARD. FOR FULL BLOWN YOU WILL USE 3-4CC OF DENEGARD FOR A QT. OF WATER. FOR THERAPEUTIC USE YOU WOULD USE 2CC PER QT DURING STRESS TIMES SUCH AS WHEN THEY BEGIN TO LAY/SIGNS OF MOLTING. NO METAL CONTAINERS & QUESTIONABLE ON VITAMIN MIX IN ESPEC. IRON. I STARTED DOING THIS & AFTER READING ALL THE THINGS/ANTIBIOTICS NOT TO MIX IT WITH &HAVING A MEDICAL BACKGROUND I THINK THE IRON WAS AFFECTING THE DENEGARD. I LAYED OFF & STARTED NOTICING A DIFFERENCE IN ITS AFFECT.
It was suggested to me by another blogger who seems to know quite a bit about the drug through various sources(vets,NPIP,etc) that you should go 1 week on & 1 week off during a Mo. time period during stress periods. I haven't got to try this but once you learn the symptoms (reluctant to eat anything but seeds or sm. crumble,slimy mouth-excessive wetness in throat,beak clacking-mashing while eating or after,head snapping NOT TWISTING just shaking head as if something is tickling them) then I WOULD Use the Denegard promptly.
FYI: I confronted my Avian Vet about the 2cc dose she orig gave me because my birds are CLOSE to remission but I'm approaching 2 weeks & still not quite there.
I quoted her that I had found 2 Different doses on the site(1 for therapy& 1 for full blown) IN SHORT she called back & stated I could try giving 4cc per qt so this is why I said 3-4cc)
VERY IMPORTANT ESPECIALLY IF WINTER TIME: KEEP HENS IN A DRAFT FREE ENVIROMENT. IF THEY ARE REALLY BAD YOU MAY NEED TO BRING THEM INSIDE FOR AWHILE.
THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL HAVE TO DECIDE/JUDGE BECAUSE IF THEY GET TO OVER STRESSED BEING AWAY FROM THE COOP THEN YOU MAY HAVE TO DO SOME ADJUSTMENTS & PUT THEM BACK. i HAD TO DO THIS WITH 1 BUT i PUT HER IN A LAY BOX WITH A NICE BOWL OF HAY,THREW A HAND TOWEL OVER HER JUST SO HER HEAD COULD PEAK OUT & THEN KILLED THE LIGHT IMMEDIATELY(OTHERWISE SHE WOULD JUST THROW IT OFF).
ALSO MORE IMPORTANTLY KEEP THEM AWAY FROM PUDDLES OR GRASS. THE DENEGARD IS BITTER SO THEY WILL SEARCH FOR OTHER MEANS OF WATER. YOU "MAY" USE SWEET & LOW(SACHRINE) OR EQUAL (SEE RECOMMENDED USE ON SITE-L. SIDE & SCROLL TO BOTTOM IF I'M NOT BRAIN FARTING) NO . IT IS ON THE SITE.
NO NATURAL SUGARS/LIMIT CORN. CORN TURNS TO SUGAR WHICH WILL FEED BACTERIA/FUNGAL SO A LITTLE CORN IS OK. YOU ONLY WILL NEED A LITTLE PINCH IN A QT. & STIR.
IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS THEN MY NEXT BEST SUGGESTION WHICH I'AM DOING ON TOP OF THIS & ITS WORKING IS TO MIX THE DENEGARD WATER MIX INTO THEIR LAYING PELLET,MEATBIRD,SEED MIX. I PUT IT IN A PIE TIN. KEEP WATER/PIE TINS OUT OF SUN. THE SUN WILL RUIN IT. IT WAS SUGGESTED I MIX A FRESH BATCH DAILY.
ITS A BIT PRICEY & I ONLY FOUND IT ON QC SUPPLY SO FAR(12.5% BOTTLE ONLY NO 10%). THIS BOTTLE WILL LAST YOU AWHILE IF YOU ONLY HAVE 8-12 CHICKENS LIKE ME.
I CHOOSE TO KEEP SOME OF MY OLD(IF CLEAN) & MIX IN AT LEAST 50% NEW BUT THE VET STATED 100% FRESH BATCH DAILY.
FINALLY, IF YOUR BIRDS ARE NOT BETTER AFTER THE 2 WEEK PERIOD DO NOT STOP THE DRUGS! I HAVE HAD 1 ON LA200 FOR 5WEEKS(I JUST GOT THE DENEGARD 2 WEEKS AGO). THIS IS A THIRD OUTBREAK FOR ME SO THE STRAIN HAS BUILT UP A BIT OF A TOLERANCE TO THE LA200 SO I HAD TO CONTINUE & MOVE MY DOSE UP 2ML.
THE VET STATED THIS WAS FINE & LETS FACE IT. ITS BETTER THAN DEATH. YOU WANT AT LEAST 4 DAYS OF NORMALCY BEFORE DISCONTINUING. I PERSONALLY AT THIS POINT WOULD DROP THE LA200 BUT CONTINUE A FEW MORE DAYS WITH THE DENEGARD.
KEEP A CLOSE EYE & I DON'T KNOW IF I'M THE ONLY ONE BUT MINE GET AN ODOR TO THEM. I NOTICE NOW ITS FAINT BUT STILL CATCHING WHIFFS. CLEAN AROUND THE HEAD WITH ANTIBACTERIAL(i PERSONALLY USE A PAPER TOWEL WITH ALCOHOL; TO KEEP THEM FROM GETTING WET SINCE ITS WINTER.
ONCE BETTER REMOVE ALL LAYING MATERIAL,SPRAY WITH EITHER CLOROX OR OXINE SOLUTION(WALLS,FLOORS) & ANYPLACE WHERE THEY MAY HAVE GATHERED WHEN THEY WERE ROAMING YOUR YARD(FAVORITE HANGOUTS) TO TRY & ELIMINATE AS MUCH BACTERIA AS YOU CAN. LET DRY & PLACE NEW BEDDING.
IT IS SAFE TO EAT EGGS WITH DENEGARD BUT NOT LA200. ALSO THE TOLERANCE TO DENEGARD IS CLOSE TO ZERO & THIS IS WHY ITS SO GREAT.
IT IS PART OF THE TYLAN FAMILY BUT HAS GREATER SUCCESS. MY TAKE ON THAT IS THAT IT HASN'T BEEN OVERUSED HERE & THERE IS A COMPONENT THAT COLLECTS IN THE LUNGS UNLIKE OTHER ANTIBIOTICS.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS YOU MAY SEND A MESSAGE & I WILL TRY TO GIVE YOU ADVICE. I WON'T CLAIM TO BE A VET BUT MY VET GOT 2 DIAGNOSES WRONG WITH MY CHICKENS & I WAS RIGHT(PER NECROPSY) SO I DO ALRIGHT. I WOULDN'T ADVISE YOU TO DO ANYTHING THAT I HAVEN'T DONE WITH MINE BUT UNDERSTAND IN THE END YOU WILL HAVE TO BE THE DECISION MAKER.
IF YOU CAN GET YOUR BIRDS INTO REMISSION YOU MAY WANT TO TRY SEEING IF YOU HAVE A N.P.I.P. REPRESENTATIVE/OFFICE IN YOUR AREA TO SEE IF YOU AN GET YOUR BIRD TESTED TO CONFIRM THEY CARRY MYCOPLASMA/CRD. THE ONLY OTHER OPTION IS A VET OR SOME POULTRY DIVISIONS WILL ALLOW YOU TO DRAW THE BLOOD INTO A VIAL & BRING IT TO THEM TO BE TESTED. I HEAR THERE ARE VIDEOS ONLINE TO GUIDE YOU ON HOW TO DRAW BLOOD. I HAVE SEEN IT DONE (TAKEN FROM UNDER WING) BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED IT MYSELF. IN CA. UCD(FDA FOR POULTRY) PROVIDES THIS SERVICE & ITS ONLY $8 PER TEST BUT YOU HAVE TO DRAW IT & BRING IT.
TAKE CARE!,LUCIANA

I know that this post is a couple years old...but I am curious, can u give this medicine orally rather than inject it. I don't think I can do the whole needle thing.

Yes you can. It's really not that hard to give a shot. Just don't give it in the same spot. Rotate sides. You can aspirate a chicken if given orally and is not done correctly.

Per the instructions here, I think I under dosed my peahen today.
She weighs approx 10#
I gave her .45 ml SQ in the neck. Will dose her again in 2 days.
Not sure if I should give her more than .45? I guess I'll document her symptoms (hoping they fade away tomorrow) and decide if I should give her 1.0 ml instead of the lower dose, which is based on a bovine.

Thank you for this! I've literally tried everything on my one girl and her symptoms have persisted. I went to a chicken farm today and the girl said yep, you need LA200 and said the exact dosage as you! I know it's one injection, just looking for some pointers on getting some nerve to do it :D I feel for the breast bone and then insert the needle just enough into the breast right? Can be either breast I'm assuming lol Is it easier if someone holds her and I inject of do more of a football hold? Insane questions I know, just looking from courage haha

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I have learned more here than all of my other online research combined. I am new to raising chickens. I raise them mainly for eggs and breeding with a little fun and a whole lot of love mixed in.

It saddens me that their is no cure for CRD. Unfortunately, I am going to have to cull at least 4 of my chickens due to CRD. Please pray the rest of my flock does not contract this horrible disease.

Back
Top Bottom