Miracle? or a Botched Job?

flappinhappy

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
Palmetto, Fl.
Mira the Miracle Chicken

Mira came to our farm on March 1, 2012 in a little cardboard box with 29 other bantam chicks.
She is a Plymouth Rock Bantam hen.
She has always been calm and is the most broody of the hens.
She suffered an eye injury around the 22nd of August this same year and the mosquitoes and no-see-ums just aggrivated it. After medicating and cleaning it for days she seemed to be getting worse not better.
She constantly scratched and rubbed it until she opened it and was bleeding and I thought there was no hope for the poor (as of then) unnamed hen.
We live on a working farm and the chickens are not only a source of great enjoyment but also serve to feed us as well.
Seeing that there was nothing more to be done she was put down. As we have many preditors and dogs as well we decided not to bury her but to place her in the waste can. This was on Sunday Sept 2 2012.

You would think that the story would end here.......

Monday being Memorial day there was no trash pick up, so on Tuesday morning I took out the trash to be shocked at what I saw. There she was looking up at me blinking her good eye as if the light switch was switched on in the night.
I was amazed and (not just a little freaked out). so I picked her up and took her to the aviary of parrots and placed her in an empty cage.
She is on rounds of antibiotics both oral and optical, and after a couple of days seems to be responding another shock.
Mira has earned her name of Miracle..Mira for short. She is now the untouchable hen and will be allowed to hatch a clutch of eggs every year and raise her brood in the safety of the parrot aviary where she won't have to forrage nor compete for food.
I look forward to watching the miracle of her hatching and raising babies for years to come.

Today, Mira is NOT blind in one eye and is free ranged with the flock.
She has taken over a nest of eggs and sits happily doing what she does best:)
Here is what she looked like and where she is now.

^ the day before we "put her down"

2 days after I "found" her

Today she is brooding and as this is her 2nd round of hatch I am excited to let her raise these since we now have a separate brood pen she can raise them in safety until she indicates it is time to take them to range.

Wow!! That really is amazing! She's a lucky, lucky girl. (BTW, just out of curiosity, what was the method you used to "put her down"?)
My husband wrung her neck ...twice...to make sure
hit.gif
. One of his friends after hearing the tale said he wanted Richard to put him out of his misery when it was time...he was sure to get a second chance
lau.gif

Oh, boy, I'll never try doing that--I'm sure to have an identical outcome! We had a very mean little Sebright banty and one day a few weeks ago I had had enough of him so I grabbed him and carried him to the garage, thinking that I would hold his head and swing him in circles. I didn't do it, though, because I was afraid I'd screw it up and hurt him instead of doing him in quickly and painlessly. Instead, I put him under a milk crate with a big rock on top and after my husband got home, he went to see Mr. Cone. :hmm

Oh, boy, I'll never try doing that--I'm sure to have an identical outcome! We had a very mean little Sebright banty and one day a few weeks ago I had had enough of him so I grabbed him and carried him to the garage, thinking that I would hold his head and swing him in circles. I didn't do it, though, because I was afraid I'd screw it up and hurt him instead of doing him in quickly and painlessly. Instead, I put him under a milk crate with a big rock on top and after my husband got home, he went to see Mr. Cone. :hmm
ep.gif
To give him credit, after all of this he DID manage to dispatch 11 roosters and 4 pheasant that went to our freezer.:)

Wow! I was horrified yet relieved. That poor chicken! Glad she found a place in your heart. She deserves it!

Back
Top Bottom