Miracle or Tragedy in the making...

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
My friend had a hen go broody, so I gave her some eggs to put under her to hatch. They were set on Sunday evening, Feb 23, so they're due tomorrow night.

Yesterday, we were getting a second, small coop set up for the broody so that when her babies hatch, they'll be safe from the other hens. As it is, four of the eggs were ruined by the other hens. While we were doing that, one of the hens somehow got into the broody's nest and laid a monster egg (probably a triple yolker, the thing was HUGE). Unfortunately it dropped right on one of the eggs, and it shattered pretty horribly. When I picked it up, I saw a drop of blood oozing from the membrane on the opposite side. I told my friend it was probably a goner. She was really upset. We took it inside so that we could autopsy it. When we got inside, we could see it was still moving!

Obviously it was way too fragile to be under the broody, so I ran home and got my incubator, and put it in there. Cranked the humidity way, way up.

It's been 24 hours now, and it's still wiggling around like crazy. I have only seen that one drop of blood, and it doesn't seem to be shrink wrapping. So, this baby *may* just make it.

Honestly, looking at this picture, would you expect a chick to survive 24 hours with this shell?

That's a picture from yesterday. I facetimed with her this morning to watch it wiggling around. I asked her to send me a new picture. I'll post it in a sec.

A shot of it today.

And, she did one better and took a video of the chick moving around.

Oh yeah, we just put it in the incubator with the humidity as high as we can get it. My friend has been given strict instructions to not open the incubator or touch any buttons on it for any reason. LOL

It should be hatching late tomorrow, but maybe it'll be early, given the condition of the shell. There's two more eggs out under the broody. I figure that once they're all hatched, I'll sneak this one under the broody, assuming she's fairly healthy.

Who knows? Getting the chick to actually hatch successfully is my primary goal. Even though it's still alive, I still feel its' chances of successfully hatching is less than 20%.

I'm hoping the other chicks hatch soon after, and she can just sneak this one under the mama in the dark. All three of the chicks probably have the same father (fbcm), and one of the babies has the same mother (legbar). So, hopefully having a full sibling will make it seem more familiar. Plus, she did have this baby under her for 19 days.

I think what you described can happen, but I've heard many more stories of people getting a broody hen, going to the feed store and buying a couple babies and sticking them under her and her waking up thrilled that her "eggs" hatched in only a couple days.

my chick survived ....she was also crushed but made it because it was only one day left and was hatched under the broody.....

Her shell was waaaaaaay too fragile to be under the broody anymore. I felt strongly if she has any chance, it'll be in the incubator where nothing will touch her.

I'll keep ya'll posted. I'm sure hoping for a miracle, and a hen to boot. If my dominant rooster is the father, this chick will be a sex linked olive egger and I'll be able to tell gender once it fluffs out.

Omigosh, she just hatched!!!!

I think she's ok. I think I may walk over there to check on her, but I think she hatched. A bit early, but that's not too surprising, considering the state of her shell.

just looked at her. I am 95% sure it's a girl. She hatched perfectly healthy. I am so excited.

if the other eggs are hatching under the broody id pop the chick under there asap..more chance of the broody excepting it than i fyou wait until its dried and fluffed up :)

Back
Top Bottom