Misbehaving Ducks All of a Sudden

I dig chicks

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2015
PA
I have two Pekin ducks for almost a year now and everything has gone well. They were laying eggs until they started molting a couple of months ago and now they have started to just act a little crazy. I'm thinking they're getting ready to lay again so maybe their hormones are kicking in again or something. They're not doing anything crazy, just a lot more quacking and they keep getting out of the area I made them. I put up some deer netting for the winter and they've stayed in it all winter until just the last couple of days. Is it normal for ducks to act a little crazy after molting? The only big issue is that they show my chickens bad habits. But mainly I just curious to find out if this typical.

I have two Pekin ducks for almost a year now and everything has gone well. They were laying eggs until they started molting a couple of months ago and now they have started to just act a little crazy. I'm thinking they're getting ready to lay again so maybe their hormones are kicking in again or something. They're not doing anything crazy, just a lot more quacking and they keep getting out of the area I made them. I put up some deer netting for the winter and they've stayed in it all winter until just the last couple of days. Is it normal for ducks to act a little crazy after molting? The only big issue is that they show my chickens bad habits. But mainly I just curious to find out if this typical.

When hormones begin to kick in they can act nutty. I understand quacking is one of the things ducks like to do best. I have Muscovy's so mine don't quack. as for keeping them in and protected from harm I would def use something besides netting which any predator could get through and as you have found out your ducks can get out of.

When hormones begin to kick in they can act nutty. I understand quacking is one of the things ducks like to do best. I have Muscovy's so mine don't quack. as for keeping them in and protected from harm I would def use something besides netting which any predator could get through and as you have found out your ducks can get out of.
I have a much more secure run for them and the chickens, but I like to give them more room when I'm at work.

I want to know if it's normal for my Peking and mallard to have sex all the time? She lays double the chicken eggs.they were doing it all winter. I put eggs in incubator bc she laid anywhere. But concerned bc I know all fertile and moving except one is suppose to be hatching and I don't see movement. I know hard bc of taking up most of the shell but don't know if it can't or how it could die days before it should hatch. Had 2 chicks which are hens hatch over a week ago. The one I had to help because not able to get out but heard chirping. So it was good. So duck egg is driving me nuts. I have close to 12 fertile moving duck eggs. So anyone looking for buying let me know. Should I open egg or wait? I don't want to have it die if hasn't already bc of the chicken egg experience.

Back
Top Bottom