Miscellaneous health concerns

Here is a picture of the poop that has the red bits. I’m also sending samples to Sue, who generously offered to analyze.

Attachments

• 7438C96E-8688-4BBB-938A-8839794F4437.jpeg
    7438C96E-8688-4BBB-938A-8839794F4437.jpeg
    668.5 KB · Views: 9
Here is a picture of the poop that has the red bits. I’m also sending samples to Sue, who generously offered to analyze.
Awful lot to be intestinal shedding......and looks different than what I've seen but maybe because it's dried. Looks more like something it ate...an edible thing or not.

My flock basically looks and acts well. However, there are a couple of concerns. Several of my hens (all are ~16 months old) have very ragged tail feathers and one has been molting/ experiencing feather loss on her chest only for a couple months.
A different one had watery diarrhea off and on for a few days, but it cleared up with probiotics and reducing treats.
Now I’m noticing little reddish dots in solid poop. It almost looks like small seeds. I’ll try to get a photo later.
I tried preventive de-worming with Zyfend but when I read the worm descriptions, I’m not seeing anything like that in their poop.
What could be going on? We don’t have a livestock/poultry vet anywhere nearby so I’m not able to request a fecal float (I called every traditional vet in town).
What do you feed, including treats? Do your chickens free range?
I agree, that looks like something they ate instead of intestinal shedding.
Photos of the feather loss may be helpful too.

Awful lot to be intestinal shedding......and looks different than what I've seen but maybe because it's dried. Looks more like something it ate...an edible thing or not.
Hmmm there’s one dropping like this pretty much every day from under the roost. Their diet is mainly organic layer crumble plus some veg or cooked egg on occasion.
What do you feed, including treats? Do your chickens free range?
I agree, that looks like something they ate instead of intestinal shedding.
Photos of the feather loss may be helpful too.
i feed organic layer crumbles, occasional veg scraps (nothing red that I can think of) and occasional scrambled egg. They are in a run and range when I’m home. Nothing growing on my property that is red.

Have you checked for lice/mites?
It's molting season for most birds that are 16-18months of age or older.
Look Benny over for new feather growth, but I would still observe during roosting time, she may be getting plucked by another hen. Also check to make sure her crop is empty first thing before she eats/drinks.

Back
Top Bottom