Miserable chicken- what should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Real McChicks, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    Our two yr old red star Mayzie is refusing to come out of the coop today. She is standing with her eyes closed and feathers puffed up. Her tail is down and her wings are down too. She wouldnt eat the scratch i offered her, and she didnt want to drink. She is only taking a few tentative steps, but when I went to pick her up to try to see what was going on, she flapped like crazy and got away. She has been moulting and has not laid an egg in the nest box for a few weeks. I have found a few broken soft shell eggs under the roost which I suspect is her. Our other two chickens seem fine.
    I'm guessing I should check her vent, but can't even seem to get ahold of her. I am a but disabled at the moment and can't get into the coop, but I'm worried about leaving her all day until my husband gets home!

2. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh you poor dear! Wish I could lend a hand. Yeah, whenever you can examine her all over. She's obviously ill with something.

Let us know what the symptoms are!

3. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    So I finally got ahold of her to take a look. I'm thinking she is egg bound. Her rear is really pooched out and she is kind of flexing that area like she was trying to lay. She is standing and doesn't seem able to lift her legs up ( like to scratch). She did drink something at least. I have to wait for someone to get home to hold her so I can take a better look.....but not sure exactly what to do or what to look for. Should I try the warm bath thing? How long?

4. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    I hope someone can answer you here, but yes, I think that is the procedure. I found a video once on youtube that gave the whole instructions. It didn't look that difficult, the hardest part is just trying to have everything set just right so the bird doesn't panic. Cleansing her will give her a better chance at survival.

Did you have a chance to do it yet?

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Yes.. a bath in warm water for about 20 minutes can help to relax her and if you have somebody to help you... they can gently massage her underside to attempt in helping her to move any egg along to it's final destination... hopefully in your capable hands.

It may be a good idea to give her some Vitamin D ( calcium ) to try and firm up her eggs if she is indeed expelling soft shelled eggs... oyster shell is also recommended.

Do keep us posted!

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by