Misinformation about chickens on CBS

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I just watched a segment on Back Yard Chicken keeping that was upsetting due to misinformation on chickens

The segment was about folks getting chickens and that they were dirty.

Of course if folks don't research they will find like a dog they will poop anywhere in the yard.

Also it said that chickens can live for ten years but only lay eggs for two.

In my research MOST chickens don't live for ten years.

What's more chickens can lay eggs for longer than two years.

Some breeds can lay for much more. I have some that are nearly 5 and still lay eggs. Certainly not the every day many people believe out of ignorance.

So what's my point?

It's up to us chicken keeper to educate people to chickens and chicken keeping. Don't be afraid to talk to folks in the feed store and customers who buy your eggs.

Copy literature from periodical about chicken eggs and their nutritional benefit and what it's like to own chickens. Give it to folks who might be thinking of keeping chickens.

Patricia Forman has written a very educational book on keeping chickens, called City Chicks and it was a big help to me when I decided to get chickens.

With proper care chicken keeping can be a pleasant experience.

Have a nice day,

Rancher

I googled e-mail and CBS and found this page.
http://www.cbs.com/feedback

Furthermore, I've never found one of the coop manufacturers that realistically estimates the number of birds they'll hold. 10 birds in a 6 sq. ft. coop? Really? Give me a break.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine! We see folks on here all the time that fall prey to this---"they have plenty of space, the coop/run is designed for 8 birds and we only have 6 so they have plenty of room, why are they trying to kill each other?" "exactly how big is the coop/run, in feet?" "Oh, it's plenty big, the coop is like 4x4 and the run is 3x8, according to the manufacturer they have lots of space, so that isn't the issue, so why are they trying to kill each other? Do I need pinless peepers or to debeak one?"
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

This is a huge pet peeve of mine! We see folks on here all the time that fall prey to this---"they have plenty of space, the coop/run is designed for 8 birds and we only have 6 so they have plenty of room, why are they trying to kill each other?" "exactly how big is the coop/run, in feet?" "Oh, it's plenty big, the coop is like 4x4 and the run is 3x8, according to the manufacturer they have lots of space, so that isn't the issue, so why are they trying to kill each other? Do I need pinless peepers or to debeak one?"
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Exactly.
And when you ask how big the coop is they rarely give dimensions because they don't believe that's the problem.
Also, people don't consider that what counts is interior dimensions subtracting space taken by whatever else is in there, i.e. feeder, water, nest boxes, etc..

I teach classes at area community colleges and various green venues. I emphasize the importance of space and spell out in the handouts how much square footage is absolute minimum for various management techniques. Do they listen? No. Do they review the written material when they get home? No.
They still go by what the manufacturer says.
he.gif

How hard is it to get out a tape measure and multiply?

he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

I suppose manufacturers fudge the numbers for a reason, but perhaps they're talking bantams and not mentioning that.

Now many folks don't do the research either and some breeds just do not do well when confined. Some NEED to range or they're just not happy and won't lay or they fight. If birds are fighting it's most likely crowded and bored and need something to occupy them.

When newbies some on and ask, "how big of a coop should I build" many of us always say bigger is better.

Last edited:
Which one? There's a couple from CBS about backyard chickens from various regions of the US.

I think we've all met some that should only be allowed to care for pet rocks (stones.)

Last edited:
I just sent a feedback farm to "CBS This Morning" to correct the misinformation. Especially the point about only laying 2 years.
I'll let you know if they write back.

Last edited:
I tried to let them know but couldn't figure out how to do so. I talk chickens to anyone who wants to just to let them know the truth.

No those cute little coops and all that in the magazine is not the real deal. I love how they never show a coop that needs cleaning nor mentions that not all chicken breeds are created equal.

I suspect many don't do the research first. Good garden o' peas!

Oh the show was aired today.

Last edited:
My concern is that folks will get all discouraged and pass on mis-information. Back yard chickens are not a hard thing if you know what to expect.

As far as coop size is concerned you're right. Too I see some awfully small runs and bad designs.

By being connected on BYC, I've met some very helpful people. Which is why I give out my card to anyone I see in TSC who doesn't know about us.

If anyone doesn't know Vista print has some nice cards are reasonable prices. The only thing I would do different is add my e-mail address and Back Yard Chickens.com to the other side. There very easy to design too.

I think there is a lot of misconceptions about keeping chickens, especially in urban/suburban environments. I think "proper care and keeping" is subjective. I and my neighbor live in a suburban neighborhood. We both have flocks of ten chickens. She and I feed and water our birds daily. We both allow our flocks access to our lawns on a limited, supervised basis. She cleans her coop weekly/bi-weekly. -doesn't scoop the run very much. I clean my coop daily (and it is probably more sanitary than many homes). -scoop and rake the run two to four time per day (and turn the dirt over weekly). Her birds are healthy. My birds are healthy. Both flocks are cared for adequately and are thriving. Again, "care/sanitation" is subjective to a large degree.

There are those folks that seem enamored with the idea of keeping chickens/urban farming. -trend-followers. -don't have a clue about commitment and time required. -see the pretty coops on a coop tour somewhere or in a decorating magazine and think it's a snap to emulate. Issues arise from this type of situation. There are, however, many that do the research and sincerely grasp the responsibility. These folks experience success.

Typically, everything media-driven has an inherent bias or perspective fueled by a particular group/groups. -all opinion with very little facts.

Back
Top Bottom