mismatched cornish X size and meat color???

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I've got 19 cornish x from a hatchery, either Mcmurray or Meyer, i don't remember. Anyway, I gave my buddy 10 at the same time. We're feeding them the same feed, from the same feeder (he made me one), and the only difference is his range in a garden, and mine range all over the freaking place. Anyway, he processed his birds last thursday, and they were HUGE, like 2 of mine taped together kind of huge... I brought 2 of mine down, my biggest 2, to add to his on processing day, just to kind of get a feel for the processor guy... so I went to pick my 2 out of my friend's freezer, and his are giant and distinctly yellow, and mine were smaller and pinkish. any thoughts? i don't understand how they can be so different in size and color too? aren't we all the same color on the inside?

I'm just shooting in the dark, but maybe yours are smaller because they burned off more energy foraging, while his were coop potatoes. If anything, I'd think yours would be healthier. Maybe you and your friend could have a taste test?

If you're really concerned maybe you could take a stool sample to a vet to check for worms, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have time to do anything about it anyway.

my girlfriend and I did the same split. Mine were grew at twice the rate as hers, turned out we had different definitions of feeding free choice. My had as much as they could eat in front of them 12 hours a day, she fed twice a day what they would clean up at one sitting.

I also agree that the amount of exercise yours are getting could be burning calories.

I would agree with the other posts. A free ranged CX won't be lying around by a feeder all day consuming calories. At least...mine didn't. What were your friend's finished weights compared to yours? Did you provide plenty of fresh water? This plays a big part in their development and ability to process their feed.

Seven pounds finished weight is great! I wouldn't sweat it....he may have bigger birds but I'm betting yours will taste better and had healthier lives. I'd do a taste comparison!

That yellow color his had is extra fat underlying the skin...not necessarily a good thing if you want good, lean meat. I'm wondering if your buddy didn't supplement feed with something?

I would definately prefer the pink. The first ones I raised had great big amounts of fat under the skin, and in between the muscles. The ones I have now are going to get free range time and a bit of exercise. They are only 2 wks. However, I will never buy the Cornish X again, as they do look grotesque and they just don't seem "right". I'll buy a different type of chicken to butcher, that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom