Misshapen air sacs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kim65, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    On 9/2 I put sixteen duck eggs from Efowl.com in my Brinsea eco-20. I've been hatching mutt chicks from the backyard flock all summer and got the candling thing down pretty good, but I haven't seen this yet.

The air sacs are at the correct end of the egg, but they are not round, they are largish and irregular in most of the eggs, extending along the inside of the egg an inch or so. These eggs have been developing so far, but I remember this is not a good thing. Can't find any information on it.

I set the eggs the day after I received them in the mail. I have maintained the humidity and temperature (brinsea is a good little machine), and have an auto egg turner. I even do a cool off and water spritz once a day.

Any ideas? Will this interfere with the embryo? Does it mean anything about the quality of the eggs?

Thanks in advance for any advice [​IMG]

Kim

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Kim

Are the eggs on approx' Day 9? Also although the air cell is at the correct end of the egg has it become detached? When you move the egg does the air cell move as well? OR are you saying the air cells are fixed but more to the sides of the egg?

Pete [​IMG]

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    they tend to get like that durring shipping...as long as its not detached (a bubble moveing all around as you move or turn the eggs) they still have hope. [​IMG]

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    they tend to get like that durring shipping...as long as its not detached (a bubble moveing all around as you move or turn the eggs) they still have hope. [​IMG]

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Ahhh, the air sac is "fixed", does not move around, just appears to have detached from the inner surface of the egg. If I turn the egg, the irregular/detached part stays where it is. No bubble of air moving around. In fact, I have seen that happen with a previous duck egg soon after the embryo died. I know exactly what you mean.

Whew! So this is just shipping? Wow you guys just made my day [​IMG]

Yep we are at day nine, out of the sixteen, all but four started.

The detached membrane inside makes it harder to see the progress of the embryo when it is so small, and for a couple of eggs, the detached membrane area is near or around the embryo.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Detached means that it is floating around. Are using an automatic turner? If it is on the side, I would think it could be a turning issue. Michele

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by