Missing a quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by winstonsgrrrl, Jan 13, 2010.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I Went out to the garage to feed the quail this morning and noticed one is missing. They're kept in cages inside my garage, so I doubt a predator was involved. I looked around to see if it may have escaped somehow, but didn't see it anywhere. Of course, our garage is jammed full of odds and ends, so it could be hiding out somewhere. So strange!

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Just sit out some feed and water and he/she will come back to where the others are and at least get to eat.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Fudgie is right. It will probably come back by the cage and if it can't get out of the garage will need food and water..... hope you found it!

4. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    What about fishing for it with a mealworm?

Yes just stick some food and water out in a seperate cage left open and easy to get into and it will come back.

I had several canaries excape, thanks to the kids. They were flying around the neighbourhood. I put some food and water in an open cage and over night all except one came back. It was a relief as some of those birds are worth around $75 or more if I had to buy more.
    I did loose my favourite red factor [​IMG]
    A couple of my button quail escaped too and luckly the neighbours knew we had them and found them and brought them home.
    Since then I have hung a curtain over the entrance of the aviary to prevent them just flying out when anyone goes in or out. My husband is going to buy me a new aviary this year with a double door entrance. I can't wait.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  5. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm jealous! I want a double door entrance!

I hope you found your birdie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by