Missing Back and Tail Feathers

Sebrena

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2021
My 16 week old hens have these bald spots on the backs and butts. It happened in about 2 days. There are 5 girls and 4 have the loss of feathers. There was a male in the cage 3 weeks ago but he got a head injury and he's in another cage. I have five males in a separate cage and I see some loss of feathers in the same places. I don't see any mites or lice. I bought a new bag of play sand and put it into their dust baths a couple of days ago. I can't figure out the cause; mites, a bully, or molting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I did put DE in the sand yesterday.

Attachments

• 20220309_192006.jpg
    20220309_192006.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220309_192156.jpg
    20220309_192156.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 7
How much space do they have? Do they have have full time access to their dirt baths? What are you feeding them? It is kind of moulting season, but that's usually a more general ragged look rather than just backs and tail feathers.

My 16 week old hens have these bald spots on the backs and butts. It happened in about 2 days. There are 5 girls and 4 have the loss of feathers. There was a male in the cage 3 weeks ago but he got a head injury and he's in another cage. I have five males in a separate cage and I see some loss of feathers in the same places. I don't see any mites or lice. I bought a new bag of play sand and put it into their dust baths a couple of days ago. I can't figure out the cause; mites, a bully, or molting. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I did put DE in the sand yesterday.
Have you used any accessory heat in the cages recently? 1 cause of this type of feather loss has been noted as brooder overheat past 3-4 weeks.

How much space do they have? Do they have have full time access to their dirt baths? What are you feeding them? It is kind of moulting season, but that's usually a more general ragged look rather than just backs and tail feathers.

The cages are approx. 3 ft x 2 ft. They have full access to dirt bath. Their feed is Homestead Harvest quail feed.

The cages are approx. 3 ft x 2 ft. They have full access to dirt bath. Their feed is Homestead Harvest quail feed.

Have you used any accessory heat in the cages recently? 1 cause of this type of feather loss has been noted as brooder overheat past 3-4 weeks.
The cage is in the garage AND it was in the 80's on Monday. I had the garage door open all day. I didn't know this could happen if they get overheated.

It sounds like there's enough protein in their feed. The dust bath should keep mites down, especially if you've added a bit of DE to it. I'll echo @muddy75 and ask if they're on heat. That could cause the feather loss. The other thing would be them picking the feathers. I have had that happen, but only once in a grow out pen that was over crowded. 6 square feet might be a bit crowded if you have a dirt bath and internal feeders and waterers. You want at least 1 square foot per bird. Subtract the space used by dirt baths and other items.

You might try adding some hiding places for them.

It sounds like there's enough protein in their feed. The dust bath should keep mites down, especially if you've added a bit of DE to it. I'll echo @muddy75 and ask if they're on heat. That could cause the feather loss. The other thing would be them picking the feathers. I have had that happen, but only once in a grow out pen that was over crowded. 6 square feet might be a bit crowded if you have a dirt bath and internal feeders and waterers. You want at least 1 square foot per bird. Subtract the space used by dirt baths and other items.

You might try adding some hiding places for them.
This is only the 2nd time using the DE in the sand bath. I have J feeders and internal waterers. I probably need to take one hen out. Thanks for your help.😊

Back
Top Bottom